Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Work In Progress -- Door Quilt


Winter's coming!  Well it is always coming, but it is best to think of how to keep warm before you have to scramble to find ways while you shiver...


My work-in-progress project today is a Door Quilt.  Did you ever hear of such a thing?  I started making them quite a few years ago when we first rented a house with hollow-core doors.  Can hardly believe that someone would put together a house using indoor doors as the outside doors, but there you go, someone did. And as renters we had to make-do with a cheap landlord for a couple of those winters and one of those winters was the year where we had a record snowfall!

 So, how to keep in the precious heat and not spend alot of dollars on a rented house.  Well, A door quilt, seemed logical.   I made one for that house, then the next time I made one it was for the exact opposite reason, how to keep the heat out in summer!  We had a condo, west facing with the door to the patio deck being very well built, except it was glass, double pane glass but glass intensifys the hot sun on a summer afternoon.  So the cure: A Door Quilt.



Now this Door Quilt will serve double duty.  It will be a Door Quilt -- but for an inside door and meant only for decoration, and it will be a class sample.  I will be teaching a class, in a couple or three months so to entice people to take the class, it needs a project to demonstrate what the class is about...


And, to keep Walter occupied while I was sewing, I spread a bit of catnip on his favourite chair -- he spends an hour or so rolling and digging down the sides, then when he gets tired out from being stoned, he lays down and naps for the rest of the afternoon...  I never knew a cat who loved his catnip so much!

Linking up with The Needle and Thread Network today, so go see what other Canadian needle artists are doing this week!