It has been quite awhile since I did a post about some of the interesting things that I have discovered while exploring on the internet.
I know there is a bit of SNOBBERY when it comes to yarn. Wool, real sheeps wool, alpaca, silk, bamboo and even cotton is on the SPECIAL list for many needle folk... Ah, but seems to me you can find ACRYLIC and the ACRYLIC blends everywhere, so these yarns must also sell! I came across a blog that explains how to make those acrylic scratchy yarns much softer. I haven't tried it yet but will do so in the next couple of days.
Go read How to Soften Scratchy Yarn (just click on the highlighted text)
Are you needing a small clutch style bag to carry while on short hops to the store or a small bag to hold onto when you are visiting the dentist? A crochet hook and some pretty fabric along with a nice yarn (yes, even that softened acrylic yarn) will make up a very nice bag, complete crochet instructions along with how to line the bag can be found at BY NUMBER 19
Now this site has nothing to do with sewing or crochet or craft, unless you consider looking at Nature to be a craft! This is one of my very favourite websites when I just want to see pretty and interesting things in this world.
Check out National Geographics Photo of the Day one very outstanding photo each day and you can look back and back and back, keep going -- I have no idea when it started but the number of days that you want to look at it practically endless...
Last one...
I have started to notice a old craft coming back - in the 1970's I learned some of the knots used in macrame and made planters for both my Mother and myself. I even knotted a piece that I made into a tote bag and lined with a pair of used jeans -- very 70's!
The macrame now though has a somewhat refined image and here is a tutorial for making some charm bracelets using beginner knots. Go to this DIY Macrame Bracelet for full instruction
Those should keep you busy for a bit! Enjoy!