Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Exploring - Crochet Stitches

I got this HUGE book on Friday last week ( The Complete Book of Crochet Stitches by Linda P. Schapper and published by Lark Crafts).  500 different crochet stitch patterns! Facinating, useful and very well organized.

I don't necessarily start at the beginning, but in this case, almost at the beginning.  #2 in the book is a simple single crochet variation that really UPGRADES the simple single crochet stitch.  I have an old stitch book from the 1960s that names this stitch as Bushy stitch.

 
My photo of the page is a bit blurry but you might see that it is slightly different but yet only uses single crochet stitches.
 
Here is my version of this stitch done with a 100% unknown fibre that was purchased at the 2nd hand store quite a while ago, close up I think it looks quite nice.  I am making a small clutch type bag with this so the close stitches with a bit of a pattern makes it just right for the bag I think.
 
 
You might notice that I started at the bottom with a regular single crochet stitch and changed to the #2 or bushy stitch just above the lower pink section.  I may never go back to the regular single crochet!  I think this looks somewhat like the 'seed' stitch which is an alternating sc/dc stitch but is much easier and quicker too!

What do you think of it?

Now the second stitch I played around with was #18 in the book and is a double crochet and chain stitch combination.  Very Lacy and not at all complicated even though it takes 7 rows to create the pattern.  This would make a really nice pattern for a summer shawl or wrap and I think that's just what I may use this for, if I can find a yarn to use.   The yarn, here, is again a scrappy bit, I would say a sport weight, and again, probably an acrylic, cause it has no label but is nicely held together and not fluffy...

 
This little sample is not blocked, but for a larger project, whatever yarn is used I would think it needs to be blocked to show the lacey effect to best advantage.
 
 
This little sample is only 36 stitches wide and would show much nicer when used in a wider format.   And being a fairly simple combination of stitches, once you have worked up a repeat of the design, it is easy to keep track of which row to do at what point.  Easy and Quick!  I know I will be using this pattern soon...
 
Whether Quilting or Crochet it is always interesting to do up sample pieces, just for the excercise and to explore how something works.  I know I will be exploring more of these stitches in the weeks to come.  This is such a useful book!