Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Snip of Life

Finally into mid-summer and the sun is shining and the temperatures have reached the point where we can now complain that it is too hot!  One thing that we Canadians are known for is that we often talk WEATHER.  How's the weather today?  Fine, fine, except that after a morning windstorm, it rained for 3 hours and the sun came out and it was so hot we could hardly breathe!  Yep, thats weather here in Canada.  If nothing exciting is happening weatherwise we complain about that too!  One side of the country brags about a great weather day while the other side of the country suffers through a snowstorm in June!



Today, where I am it is getting a bit warm, but there is no rain or wind or snow in the forecast.   This spring was very wet and cloudy and put all the flowers and plants a bit behind, but now my yard is greening up.  Finally.  And just for a bit of fun, I decided to spend a half hour in my steamy hot sewing room (third floor of a 3 level townhouse) and make a colourful banner with scrappy snips of fabric and string it across my yard.

As usual my Dear (Damn) husband thinks it is weird.  I had dragged him around to a couple of secondhand stores earlier in the week because I wanted to string Christmas lights across where the banner is, but it's not Christmas time and even if they have them in the back -- I was told by a really snippy fellow at one store -- they don't sell them in summer and "too bad for you lady" is what he said.... hmmf!  Like I am going to let a uppity young man dash my ideas!

Even tho a couple of strings of lights would brighten my yard on a hot summer night, my home created banner will brighten the yard all day long!   Now, after all the effort (enjoyed effort) I can go sit on my swing with a skein of red yarn and make myself some crochet slippers for the cool days coming...


So, how's the weather where you are?

By the way, see that strawberry plant down there on the right hand side?  I picked a bowl of strawberries from it for my breakfast today and topped them with a half cup of yogurt.  It may be the only produce from my little corral of delight, but they tasted worth the wait of another year for a bowl of berries!