Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Artist Trading Card Swap

I almost forgot that I had an ARTY muscle that I liked to stretch out every now and then!  Lately I have been doing Classics, Traditional, and Simple...(and other people's patterns)

Then I saw an invitation to be part of a ATC swap at the Artists in Blogland Blog and that ARTY muscle started to twitch!  So I signed on and am taking part in the swap.   The cards for the swap are to be at their destinations by the end of August but it has taken me almost three weeks for my ARTY muscle to work up a few cards that made me happy (I probably made at least 20 that were not pleasing so they went into the G file)

A few years back (2007) I actually had a card that I created included into a book that was put out by the people at Quilting Arts Magazine...


On a Whim I had sent in my versions of what I thought were Artist Trading Cards and the editor chose to include my little "Charmed Butterfly" which became 0975 in the book...


Sandwiched inbetween two other very lovely cards was my card which was made with a scrap of polka dot fabric glued to cardstock, then a real pressed flower blossom (or was it a weed from the empty lot next door?) and a metal butterfly charm.  

The idea behind these little cards, at least in my opinion is not just to create something to trade - usually via MAIL so that the postal services don't go out of business - is to give our brains a little creative stretch (as are fabric post cards).   Sometimes these little creations can make those of us who feel the need to use a bit of creative genius that comes out now and then, but not enough to make us famous or even locally known, just a little stretch, not too much and not too often, though...

So for this Swap, those taking part were asked to create two cards each for three people.   I wanted the cards I sent out to be thoughtful but not complicated.  I wanted them to be different and yet show something of ME.   I like Vintage.  It was a forgone conclusion that I use or create something that showed some true vintage and yet teach something too.  So I cut out some backpage Advertisements from a 1968 Good Housekeeping magazine that I have been using for years for various paper arts...  To the ads, I put on a bit of fuzzy selvedge, just cause it was on the worktable at the time I was making this set of cards.  A coat or two or three of varnish, to slightly yellow the paper and the cards were done.  


The second set of three cards are fabric based -- I love to sew!  Now, being a long time sewist, quilter and other fabric related enthusiast, these cards had to show Fabric.

Into the fabric scrap basket and I pulled out a few little bits, one that was hearts and flowers and one with cheetahs.  The cheetah fabric scrap was barely 3 1/2 inches square so it was only enough for one card and the scrap with hearts and stars and bars was enough for the other two cards.   The fabric was glued onto cardstock and since my sewing machine was right beside me and ready to "roll"  I sewed on some lace and rickrack to trim each card.


For me, both sets make me feel like I used my ARTY muscle and did not whimp out and do these too easy or too lazy.  Of course everyone has their own opinion of art and of course THE ARTIST generally thinks their own stuff is pretty good, but the true test is when someone else acknowledges that it is "pretty good" not necessarily great, but good enough that they can spend a moment enjoying what they are seeing...

So those are the cards I am sending out in this swap. 
Waddaya Think?