I don't buy decorations anymore, and it is really rare that I will buy a gift, from a retail outlet, be it an actual store or an online vendor.
This week I crocheted what will become a christmas banner. I came upon some interesting yarn at a thrift shop so these crocheted trees cost very little other than time and even the time was minimal...
There is a free pattern, if you would like to make these little crocheted trees. The instructions can be found at Royal Sisters (click on the name to open a new window), scroll down the page and watch on the right side bar, it is called Granny Tree Tutorial. You will also find a star, a 'round' and a heart done in the same method.
I did slightly change the way I did my trees, instead of slip stitching to the next chain space, I simply turned and chained three and dc 3 in the chain space. I used a cotton yarn, called Chat Botte (made in France) but remember I got it at a 2nd hand shop so I have no idea where you would get the same thing. I wish I had more!
Another Work in Progress that I had nothing at all to do with, a fledging robin came down from it's nest yesterday morning and sat for a time on my back yard deck. A little later I noticed it sitting atop our small compost bin with an adult bird offering it food. Later in the evening, again the adult was with the young one. Today tho it flew out over my fence so I suspect its little wings are doing what they were made for...