Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Super Summer Snippy Challenge - Part Two


So there is the Albatross of a log cabin quilt that I got together this past week, fixed the wrong turned block and added a couple of borders.  It measures 64 inches by 75.  And I am planning to give this top to our local rep for Quilts of Valour.

And below is a really quick top to put together, tho I cannot say it is all scraps, but the main fabric is a fabric that has been languishing in a drawer because even though I loved it when I got it (probably 10 years ago or more) I just couldn't seem to find the right project to use it on!  It is SO busy!

After I got this one together, I realized that I had seen a similar one years ago except that the pieced sashing was done in gradiant piecing so that it looked like Woven Ribbons -- in fact you can click on the link and see what I mean.  Yes, it is different but the concept is the same... sorta! or not...


Anyway, the statistics of this quilt are:

Cut 12  - 6.5 inch squares of the main fabric (you need 1.25 meter of fabric for this whole quilt top - or 1.5 yards)
Cut  82 - 3.5 inch squares
Cut 4 width of main fabric at 4.5 inches to use as the outside border.

Sew the stack of 3.5 inch squares into 41 pairs
Sew a pair on each of the 6.5 inch square

Sew the main square and pair into a long sets of 3 squares and a pair so that you have 4 rows, then add a pair on the end of each of the 4 sections.

Sew a row of 5 pairs of scrap squares together to make a row of ten.  Do 5 of these.

Put the rows together alternately, so that you have a row of 10 scrappy squares, and a row of the main fabric square with the pairs between each block then a row of 10 and a row of main square + pair ending with a row of 10.   So you have a small quilt that measures 30 x 39 without the border.  If you add the border strip to the longer sides first, then to the top and bottom, you need not piece the border strips.  With the border added the top has a finished measurement of 39 x 47 inches.   A good size for a child bed or a quilt for all purpose  -- makes for a good picnic cloth or a beach blanket even.  Can even become a tent when two chairs are used for the end posts!!


I really like this little quilt -- bright and lots of things for children to look at and it took around two hours to put together!  Very speedy - but that doesn't include cutting the fabrics...  Just think if you played around with the 3.5 inch squares you could make quite a statement.  Just a bit of arranging of colour and you could be making Jinny Beyer's Woven Ribbons quilt!  Ya think? Maybe?

This quilt top is going to my guild's charitable quilts program and once someone else in the guild layers and quilts it, hopefully it will go to someone who needs a bit of BRIGHT in their life.

This project hardly put a dent in the 1000 plus already cut 3.5 inch squares - so there is alot left over so that I can reach my goal of 10 quilt tops to donate by September!   I am really encouraged that this is an achievable goal as I have completed 2 tops for donation to my guild and one for Quilts of Valour...

Back to "slaving" away at the sewing machine! I do love this kind of work!