But I didn't forget.
I just couldn't find the time to post a tip that you might find useful...
This tip has nothing to do with Quilting. Today's idea comes from a accidental idea. So perhaps it will work for you. I am preparing to go on a quilting retreat and putting various supplies together to keep me busy and to take part in the activities that are planned... Sometimes I just have to be contrary, so I am planning to take along my current crochet project.
I have started a granny square afghan -- just a traditional one, each round a different colour, and each colour randomly done. I have been collecting bright skeins or yarn, mostly from the 2nd hand stores, some of those are part balls and when you get enough of them together, they conspire to tangle and you spend as much untangling as actual crocheting. Generally when I crochet, I have an old cleaned out ice cream pail with a hole in the lid that I keep a 'ball' of yarn in and the leading end of the yarn is peeking through the hole, but that doesn't work so well, with such an eclectic choice of colours and 'ball' sizes, In Order to make it reasonably easy to carry around, I have started putting those part balls of yarn into regular zip lock type of sandwich bags. I put the ball of yarn into the bag and snip off a bottom corner and pull the leading edge of the yarn through the little hole and close up the zipper. This is working great, you can put a half dozen or a dozen ziplock bags of yarn into one tote. The bags are clear, so you can easily see what yarn you want to work with next, and even though you squish all the colours together, they don't get tangled amongst each other and that peeking out end of yarn, is always easy to find. The only drawback? Don't reuse those ziplock bags to put food in, if you freeze raspberries, you will have a drippy red mess when it thaws, or if you put trail mix into the ziplock, by the time you get to the end of the trail, there will be no mix to nibble on!