Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Pork and Beans -- Plan 52

Yes, I am still working at and learning about this Plan 52 idea -- for those who have not been by here before -- Plan 52 is the name I have given this plan for loosing a few pounds...  Is it working?  What is .2 of a pound?  Sounds like I have alot to learn, yet!

Some of the foods that I am trying to restrict is the big carbs -- at least for awhile --- POTATOES, PASTA, RICE...  which ultimately means more, much more veggies. 

I don't follow plans very well, which means I don't follow recipes, but I do like ideas or suggestions.  So quite often I will, somewhat invent a stew, or soup, even rustic type pies and I love to add odd things into breads and quick breads.  

So the other day, after spending an hour or so reading through Kay Spicer's book Full of Beans (I've had it for years)  I came up with an improvised combination of a couple of her recipes...

I don't know what to call it except  Pork and Beans...   Now keeping in Mind that I am avoiding those big three carbs...  Oh and If you are like me and don't particularly like to follow a recipe, well go ahead and create your own variation...

Plan 52 Pork and Beans

1 can garbonza beans (chick peas to some)
1 medium large onion
2-3 stalks of celery
Pork -- I used a Pork Butt Steak, about  the size of both your hands together.
3-4 bay leaf
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste.
chicken stock --- home made prefered or the second choice is canned but if you use the powdered stuff, like OXO or BOVRIL leave out the salt until the pot is finished and let each person add salt to taste...
A glug or two of vegetable oil or canola oil.
A large can of canned tomatoes, I use diced, but if you like crushed or whole or any other variation, use it.  I am not giving can sizes cause here in Canada we use metric and in the US you use Ounces -- use the can that is way to big to get one hand around but if you use two hands it is easy to grab all the way around -- how's that for measuring size???  Good thing I don't quilt like this or my "points would never match up!


In a fairly large pot, put in veg or canola oil, turn heat on medium low.  Add diced onions and chopped celery -- they should be chopped up about the same size.  Cook on low until the onions just start to carmelize, this does take awhile, don't turn the heat up as you want the onions to carmelize not burn.  Be Patient, stir regulary -- if you get tired of waiting for the onions, get a cloth and wipe the top of the fridge and the window sills and maybe even take some stuff out of a cupboard and wipe the shelf and the dusty cans... (hahaha) but don't get too involved in the wiping stuff, cause you still have got the onions to keep your eye on.

Chop the Pork BUTT into about 1/2 cubes and add to the onions - you don't have to brown the meat.  Add the can of beans (chick peas) into the pot -- make sure you drain them well and rinse them before.  If you happen to be starting with dried beans, it is about a 1/2 cup dried beans soaked at least 6 hours, so overnight or close to.  Add the canned tomatoes, and about 4 cups of chicken stock (or 4 cups of water and you "flavouring powder" of choice.  Peel and chop the garlic -- not too fine...  Add the Bay Leaf and Thyme.  Put a lid on the pot and turn the heat to LOW.  Every 15 - 20 minutes go check the pot to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom or that the liquid has evaporated (if it has your heat is on too high) add liquid if needed -- plain water is fine.  Give the pot at least an hour but two is better.  When you are hungry, find the Bay Leafs and take them out of the pot and chuck in the garbage.  Eat all the rest of the Plan 52 Pork and Beans --- I find that about a cup and a half makes a nice warming and filling meal size.   If you are not following a weight loss system, a couple of pieces of buttered toast go beautifully with this soup/stew -- so my husband says...

Oh, PS -- a nice crunchy Gala or Fuji apple goes great with this as dessert!

REMINDER: check back to the Earth Day Entry and enter a comment for a chance at a small giveaway goodie...