Yesterday, I had to go pick up a few groceries that I was not able to get a my regular store, so Me, being Me I also made a stop at my Local Value Village. Well, actually I made my husband stop the car there so I could go in... It is the only second hand store open on Sunday in this town...
I told my husband that I wasn't going to spend any money but if I did I would make sure to spend it on something I had no use for!
So, thats what I did. I spent 64 cents on two knitting books!
64 cents!
They may seem valueless to most people, but at a glance I knew I had no need for them, but I surely was happy to have found them. I don't knit much, except I am trying to learn how to knit two socks on one circular needle (thats another story or another day). I am not very likely to make the more complicated items from these booklets, but you know that cardigan on the front cover will look as good today as it probably did in 1941 -- the year that top book was published... I'm gonna have to think on it. These two books are Canadian Publications, the first "Lux Knitting Book" was specifically aimed at knitting for Our Troops -- the men and women and children who were either fighting the war or who were displaced because of bombing or other distasters -- the ladies here at home were encouraged to knit these items for the benefit of others -- women here had a pretty cushy life compared to what what happening in England and France and the rest of Europe. The socks and vest that our ladies knitted for our soldiers were always welcomed -- a clean and warm pair of socks was probably something real special for a young man, tramping through the muddy fields of France in winter...
They may seem valueless to most people, but at a glance I knew I had no need for them, but I surely was happy to have found them. I don't knit much, except I am trying to learn how to knit two socks on one circular needle (thats another story or another day). I am not very likely to make the more complicated items from these booklets, but you know that cardigan on the front cover will look as good today as it probably did in 1941 -- the year that top book was published... I'm gonna have to think on it. These two books are Canadian Publications, the first "Lux Knitting Book" was specifically aimed at knitting for Our Troops -- the men and women and children who were either fighting the war or who were displaced because of bombing or other distasters -- the ladies here at home were encouraged to knit these items for the benefit of others -- women here had a pretty cushy life compared to what what happening in England and France and the rest of Europe. The socks and vest that our ladies knitted for our soldiers were always welcomed -- a clean and warm pair of socks was probably something real special for a young man, tramping through the muddy fields of France in winter...
The second book, The New Lux Knitting book was published in 1952 and is a whole world of difference when you read the text and compare it to the 1941 version. In this version, style and quality are emphasized -- dressing your children so they look good at school or in public is a MUST according to this second booklet. The world was a completely different place in 1952!
What I really like is the photos, the people who model the items to knit are the average person - the lady down the block, the young dad who works in an office, and the kidlets on their way to school. They are not rail-thin like todays clothing models, their faces are clean and bright, not packed over with extra long eye lashes and unnaturally coloured cheeks. The flaws are not hidden. The lady above, just a bit over weight by todays standard, but trim and neat -- and no perkey implants to emphasize a too big breast, she is a 40ish woman with a shape that is not quite and perfect as her 20 year old counter part and yet she makes that knitted suit look very comfortable and stylish. If you had the talent and opportunity, wouldn't you like to have a suit as fine today?
Some patterns for the men of the family... again, wouldn't these patterns work for todays head of household? And those pipes! Have you seen a man with a pipe in recent years out in public? Well, it is not so acceptable any more is it -- today we know the possible consequences of those masculine pipes -- but you know, I always thought my Dad looked very handsome when he sat in his chair and lit up his pipe -- I remember an ash-tray my brother made for our Dad in his 'shops' class at school!
Just look at those Young Ones! Did your mom put those kind of clothes on you when you were in elementary school? Or maybe you were the Mom who took the extra time to make sure your kids were clean and neat with a ribbon or barrett in your hair. I don't remember my brothers wearing short pants like that, but my grandmother regularly knitted socks for us and I know I had a sweater or two from one gramma or the other, most of my growing up years.
When did the world change so much that now quite often, when you knit, crochet, or quilt for your children or grandchildren the item is looked upon as junk - what teen would be caught "dead" (as they say) with something home made! It takes so much time to create these items and the value of them have been down graded to the point where they are not even wanted anymore... What could show more love than your gramma making you socks for christmas, but now, even manufactured socks are not even to be considered a gift unless they have a movie logo or a tv characters face printed on them...
Some of the wonderfully interesting patterns in these books include socks with a double heel, "so that they provide extra comfort" tp the soldier on the field of battle, mitts for children on the "coldest days and the walk to school" even specially designed scarfs for the "brave airmen" and "seamen" who serve this country.
This was a great find and not a waste of that 64 cents (6 cents tax), in fact I am getting more value from these books than buying a new magazine off the grocery store shelf for 5.99 or 7.99 or even the outrageous price of 13.95! Maybe I will even try to knit one of those seaman scarfs!
Oh PS, the LUX is the name of the sponsor of the books, Lux was a brand of soap--both as a hand soap and a powdered soap for hand dishwashing -- their catch line "New Quick Lux saves you from housework hands . . . is fast -- thrifty "
Oh PS, the LUX is the name of the sponsor of the books, Lux was a brand of soap--both as a hand soap and a powdered soap for hand dishwashing -- their catch line "New Quick Lux saves you from housework hands . . . is fast -- thrifty "