Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Newest Hobby

Well, I guess it is time to admit it, I have a new hobby.  I am calling a hobby cause it is becoming obsessive which is a good thing, I hope.   I signed up with one of those weight-loss plans.  It costs as much as quilting as a hobby and more than crochet, so since the initial outlay is a bit of a hump to get over -- one needs the proper supplies to get started in any hobby, so I am justifying the expense, not only that it will be good for me, but also that I probably would have spent that money on things for my hobby anyway.

I was reading a blog the other day about a man working at loosing weight and he called his endeavour, Plan 52, because he had 52 pounds to loose.  So, I decided to call my new hobby, Plan 52, also.  Not that I have 52 pounds to loose, but because it just sounds like a good goal to work to, then if (and there is) a further need to add to that PLAN 52, I can continue on, feeling good that I accomplished PLAN 52 - THIS YEAR... 

Now my Plan 52 is on its way, I am one and a half weeks in and officially have managed to loose 3.2 pounds...  I am quite satisfied with that, even though I have somewhat of a saboteur in my home...  Now how to thwart his system and make mine a success.  I know he doesn't do it purposely but he thinks by offering treats, he is giving me a gift, sort of like the cat bringing you a half eaten mouse or bird that he caught out in the field!!  Nice Kitty, nice Kitty...

And further reading on weight loss has brought me to another article about motivation and how to keep it.  One article said that most of the need to eat is not in our bellies, but in our heads -- and yes, I probably knew that years ago because I can never seem to satisfy my brain with "eating" the same old thing -- I am always looking for new ideas!  Therefore, I suspect that my brain is telling my belly, that since I have not had a piece of date cake or a bag of chips in quite some time, that it is okay to take a little (ha!) taste and then the whole thing is gone.  Where?  To the Belly of course....   So the new hobby is ultimately going to concentrate on weighing what I put into the BELLY, thinking about what interesting ways I can prepare foods -- no more easy pasta suppers!   So research and reading and looking at recipes for low fat, low sugar things is my new goal...

My cousin suggested a mantra, but I don't know as I am ready for it, because to me, it seems a bit derogatory and in a way a put down, but it does cross my mind now and then "Thin feels better than any food tastes".   Is that encouraging or discouraging?  I want my food to taste good but I want to be thinner too...  I have to find a nicer mantra that encourages both the weight-loss and the search for the right menu!

I will try to update now and then on this hobby, but if you never hear me speak of it again you will be able to surmise that I have failed the challenge!  I know, that the idea of failing is not really something to think about but in my case, well, with weight-loss it is a common occurance, to be perfectly honest...  Unfortunately, failure at weight-loss is not uncommon, but I am trying...