If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you will know that I am taking part in a UFO challenge. I was thinking about my stack of UFO's -- I do have too many! But, I also have alot of wall hangings and small quilts that sit in closets or boxes and have not seen the light of day for YEARS and I wonder what to do with them. So I did some checking back in my Miss Snips columns in the Canadian Quilter Magazine and in the Winter issue 2004, I wrote a list of things that may help with my undone list and those quilts that maybe don't measure up, or the ones that I am just mostly tired of looking at...
First is a suggestion that I just absolutely dislike, but well, its there if it comes down to it --- Give your small wall hangings to the local Humane Society or the SPCA for the doggies and kitties to rest upon instead of the hard concrete floors (all that work!)
Have a mostly finished UFO top that you have lost interest in, or maybe the points are not as perfect as you would like? Use the top as the back of another quilt that makes you happy, no waste and who knows, you may come to love the backside as well.
Do you have a large quilt top that you just know that you will never get quilted? Might be a good idea to divide that top into perhaps2 or 4 smaller tops, add borders and create small quilts to donate to your local hospital, or women's shelter.
Suggest a trade UFO projects at your local guild or quilt meeting. A project that you don't like may become a prize possession in someone elses hands!
Don't be afraid to change the original intention of a quilt top, a half done top could be repurposed into placemats, cushion covers, a vest, or maybe even a tote bag or two -- in fact I have done that, a tote bag, became a large tote with a lining and pockets -- I carry it to most quilt guild meetings, it holds show and tell quilts, books, my cup for midday coffee and of course a notepad and pens...
And the last thing for this list is from a friend's signature line on her email --- Finished is better than Perfect...