Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Talking to Myself and Talking when the Wrong Person is Listening

I'm not talking about quilting or knitting or crochet here.  I'm talking to myself, or so I have come to strongly suspect.  Its like talking to my husband.  Even though I know he has heard me, he ignores me -- is that cause I talk to much? or is it because there are more important things occupying his mind -- but then what could be more important than me?

 Thats not the point of this blog either.

  I just wonder about things, mostly about truth and next about politeness and consideration...  It often keeps me awake at night.  How do you go about being a good friend, first is trust I would think--but it is a terrible sick feeling when a friend betrays that trust when you allowed her to hear a conversation with another friend, as a result it has caused repercussions between my young friend and her husband.  What went on?  A young woman I have known for a fairly short time came to me wanting to talk -- she recently had a baby and was feeling down, she has two other young children and her partner has two children, so my young friend is now the mother of 5 children between 2 months old and 6 years old.  I am well past my child rearing years and find it difficult to remember the energy and mental apptitude it  takes to be a mother, especially since I only had two children, not 5 To be attentive to every child every day along with the extra demands of a new baby is a herculean feat, I suspect.  So she wanted to talk -- I just listen and mostly make small suggestions, but I never make a judgement or tell her how to do things or what she should do -- I just LISTEN.  Well, another friend happened to drop in and though she mostly sat quietly and listened to my conversation with my young friend, I thought all was well.  Unfortunately not.  The second lady, who is an aunt to my young friend went home and phoned my young friend's husband and told him that his wife was whining about looking after the new baby, along with the four other children and how difficult she was finding it and was asking me for advice.  Oh, he was mad!  Not a me, but at my young friend...  I shall not go into detail as I was not there to hear or see. 

Now, I need to explain myself somewhat before I say what I did.  I have opinions, but I try very hard not to make judgements on the way others live their lives.  I believe things in my own way, but I don't try to make others believe what I do or do things the way I do.  I believe that I am not a vindictive or violent person -- violence makes me feel really bad.  So my way to deal with this is to close my mind to this other lady who betrayed my trust.  I have closed my mind to her and closed my home to her.   I have not actually told her that, but she will not be welcome in my home again, there will always be a polite excuse why I cannot spend time with her.  I suspect it may take time for her to get the message that I don't want her around anymore.  She may never get it, but I don't care.  I cannot leave myself open to this untrustworthy person ever again.  She did too much damage.   But I did learn a lesson.   When in a private conversation, keep that conversation private, you just never know who is wanting to cause trouble...

And talk about learning a lesson -- I talk to myself when I write this blog, so I am considering closing it down because it doesn't make sense to talk to myself publicly.  Perhaps just write a private blog in my own handwriting in my own paper journals with an old fashioned pen.  People seem to be disinclined to read personal journals, even if you leave them laying out on your front step on a summer afternoon...  Writing a public blog is disappointing.  Now how do I know I am talking to myself?  I wanted to try out a couple of things that have been questions in my mind.  The first question:  Does anyone read the quilting tips or ideas that I write here?  and secondly, Should I bother to consider giving information or should I just write my own quilting journal and not concern myself with who or how many read this.  I write a blog because I hope that those bits of info make it easier on someone who is working on a quilt, crochet or knit project.  I have come to suspect that no one is reading because no one leaves comments -- I know it takes an extra effort to leave a comment on a blog, but to me, it is a form of saying Thanks for writing this...  But very few do that so either no one reads or no one can be bothered to say thanks.  Either way, it seems like I am talking to the nail in the wall and the only thing that nail does is hope that someone will hang a picture on it so that it is not able to hear me cause it is covered up... Ho Hum...

Now having said that, I am totally amazed at the number of comments I got in response to my offer of a prize (by drawing names) of those who leave comments on my post last week about Earth Hour.  So, quietly I shall state that EVERYONE who left a comment on that posting, up to this moment will receive a little treat in the mail.  It is just too hard to choose just one, so everyone gets something.  Watch your mail because if you send me your postal address I will have your treat out to you the very next day.... My email -- jswb4com at yahoo dot ca -- you know where the @ and . go, right?

It is rainy and rather gloomy out this morning and I have had a headache all night so after writing this gloomy post, I think I need to go cheer myself up with some sewing...  I am quilting a quilt, just a lap size one to donate to my local guild who will then pass it along to one of three organizations who look after women and their families when in need...

Maybe a picture later today...