Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Maintenance

There is all those little odd jobs around the house that need doing on a somewhat regular basis.  It is not only the "man of the house" that has odd jobs that he complains loudly about and puts off until the next blue moon.  We poor downtrodden wives (female partner if you so wish to be called) have ODD jobs too...  And just as a little pinch on the behind to the men who say they do it all, well, you don't...

As you may have discovered from my previous posts, you can safely say, I am frugal, so todays job has a great deal with reuse, recycle or make do... 

I have what is to me a really nice mahogany table and I got it for FREE a couple of years back.  A friend has a executive type husband whos company was moving their offices from one fancy place to an even more upscale address and in the process disposing of office furniture -- to the brass of the company it was easier to give away pieces than to pay someone to come and take it away.  Well, I got a small conference room table, mahogany, round, wooden, and it became my kitchen/dining table.   It is a very nice table, but if used for breakfasts and greasy toast and chipped coffee cups and who knows what else (as my husbands mother used to say " were you raised in a barn?) Well, she would know, cause I don't think my hubby knows what a placemat is--something that falls on the floor or why I made cloth dinner napkins ("these dish rags are not much good" says he) so, in order to keep a really nice mahogany table nice for when the quilting ladies come for tea and talk, I make a fitted plastic table cover for my really nice mahogany table -- I even like saying nice mahogany table!!

So today I hunted around in the sewing room and found my cheap elastic that has a really good stretch to it and after using the really nice mahogany table as a pattern, I cut the big round shape from one of those $2 (or now they are getting to be 3.95) plastic table covers with the sort of flannel backing and set to stitching all around that really stretchy elastic with a big zig zag stitch.

It is a pretty quick job actually, not more than a half hour I would say including cleaning off all the breakfast stuff and taking off the old raggedy and torn cover to putting the new cover on the really nice mahogany table.



A bit of a wiggle and smoosh and stretch out and the new snug table cover is fitted onto the really nice mahogany table.


Cheery and bright -- goes with my lime-green walls and looks like we are headed well into spring...
Well, now, that job's done.

PS, I'll show you what happens with the left over bits from the table cloth... later...