Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Work in Progress - Off on another Tangent

I was going write more about the quilt I started the other day, that I am planning to put into the CQA invitational quilt show in May 2013 BUT...

Last week when I was at my quilt guild meeting I noticed that the bag I use to carry all my goodies - a mug, my camera, my name tag, books or magazines, and sometimes even a quilt to show and tell -- was starting to split down the side.  So I have been pondering on how long I have been using this bag... 



My only reference was that I made it from a started - but unfinished quilt top that I was going to give to some one as a surprise, until that person said to me " don't you think it's time you made a quilt for me?"  And that was coming up on 10 years ago I think...

Anyway, I just didn't like being told I "owed" them a quilt, just cause I can make them doesn't mean I have to give my work away on demand...  That person still does not have a quilt...  Maybe that's my mean streak, but hey, that's the way it is!

So, now as I was saying -- its time I made myself a new Quilt Guild Tote.

 
Which brings me back to the pile of leftover fabrics and scraps that came to me via anonymous sources!   There are some really great scraps in this gifted pile, but then there were alot of bits, and odd shapes, strips and strings and weird rectangles...   I was gonna give that stuff to the recycle bin. 

Then I started to sew pieces together to make bigger pieces...

 
Definately really random and not at all thinking of which colour or shade or tone or even shape went next to which other piece.  They began to grow.
 
I started to work the shapes into 6 inch wide strips so that they had some cohesion when putting them into bigger and bigger pieces.
 
Now this kind of nonsense really eats up the hours.   I can see it coming together, tho.  I have a couple of tote bag patterns I would like to try, so i will have to check whether I have "made" enough fabric yet and then start putting the bag together once I have all these bits made into one large enough piece of fabric...
 
 
I have visions of rick rack sticking out along some of the seams! Well, a few more days for this WIP, I think...

I am linking up with the Needle and Thread Network today!