Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Work in Progress - Take it Easy

Lately I have been wondering why everything seems to have a "RUSH ORDER" on it...



Some stores start Christmas in August, and the start of the school year seems like it is imminent the day after the kids are let go for the summer.  Advertisements and calender photographs show red and yellow leaves for September, even though things are mostly green and just being harvested.  I wonder why they want us to be so far ahead when in actual fact practically everyone I know, scramble on the day before to 'be ready'!  The stores were crowded this past Monday with Moms and Kids getting school supplies, and Halloween candy is bought the day before the Trick or Treat night in many cases.  And Christmas Eve! Well if its a Saturday, it is almost impossible to find a parking spot at the mall!  So why do We supposedly have to plan months ahead, when most of us do it on the last day or two before whatever event it is?

My Dad was a very meticulous and patient man.  One of his greatest assets was that he really did plan ahead and I cannot ever remember seeing him rush to complete any task.   He was a thinker and a planner and was always ready for any event -- even the unplanned ones, he always seemed to be ready just in case.   I am so lucky in that I did learn some of the things he tried to teach me over the years.   His favourite 'cartoon' was Pepe` le Peu -- if that is too far back to remember it was a series of cartoons (Hanna-Barbera, I think) about a Debonaire French Skunk who falls in love with a black cat who had white paint accidently spilled on HER.  He pursues her through the streets of Paris, She in a mad panic to get and way and he casually bounding along and easily keeping close to her...  Yep, that suits my Dad perfectly...

I am quite willing to take my time to figure out something a bit new and different, although sometimes I do go ahead and try out an idea before it is fully formed...


Quite a few months ago I decided that I needed to find a way to use the stacks of brown paper that my husband brings home from his delivery job.  He puts it into a recycle bin, but it still seems to me that rather than just the recycle bin, there must be a better way.  Every now and then I square up and cut the paper into useable note book size and we use these for LISTS, to do, grocery, etc.  I use the sewing machine to sew the pages together.   Then I came across a You Tube Video of how to make coptic bound books - so...  I am working on making one TODAY...

Then, my other work in progress, this week and has been for a few weeks now, is a project to demonstrate, applique. Completely by machine, no freezer paper, no raw edges, no hand stitching.   It is definately faster than needle-turn applique, but still takes much patience to do correctly and beautifully...   I have got the dresdens appliqued and now in the next few days, a border with applique leaves, and quilting and binding....  Definately should be finished by next week...


And now, a return to the appreciation of taking things easy and appreciating the world around oneself.  Yesterday was one of those PERFECT days, the sun was warm, but there was a light cool breeze.  How else to enjoy it -- a walk along the Trans Canada Trail (Matsqui Trail Park, in Abbotsford) that works its way along the south side of the Fraser River....


Looking northwest toward Vancouver.


A section of the trail with split rail fence between the trail and private property.  The forest is dry, thus, the layer of leaves --not because it is autumn...


And of course, the dog, Pearl, checking out crawly things in the grass and behind trees -- I think there was a little snake wending its way, which of course, Pearl would have loved to pick up and wrap her tongue around.  Good thing she has in her repertoire of commands, "Leave it" and she does...

Take a deep breath, and slow down, even just for a few moments...