Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Going to School...

Grandma Coco sent me off on a tangent that resulted in the process of learning about the History of the World.  

There is a website where you can take a university course FOR FREE!  Is that not the ultimate in learning!  Fits my own philosophy so well.  Free! Free! Free!   I know it takes work and resources to create for others ways to learn and that is why there are copyright laws, somebody needs to get paid for their work so they can feed their families...

 
But at Coursera there are University level courses on many subjects that you can sign up for FREE!
I decided after reviewing all those classes -- currently over 100 -- to sign up for the History of the World after 1300.  
 
The first class lecture began yesterday and I was shocked to find that my first foray resulted in the first set of questions being completely WRONG!   Well, in my defense, I haven't been to school for about 25 years and definately had to adjust my hearing skills!  But this morning, I did another video lecture in the series and I got all the questions RIGHT...
 
So, now until Dec 10, I will be working on this new project in learning, trying to keep my mind sharp as it gets older and trying to enhance my basic thought processes -- thats what I think learning is all about, Learning to Learn is a big part of Learning a particular subject.
 
Of course, Learning about the world doesn't necessarily mean I have stopped doing the other things I do...
 
 
I have been seeing on Pinterest and other blogs, a variety of crocheted embellishments and decorations added to clothing and I decided to try out a "edging" made from crochet and found in a very old Coats & Clark pamphlet that I have.

 
This, not yet sewn to a t-shirt that I picked out for the purpose is  what I spent my afternoon playing with yesterday....
This test piece is made from a bit of baby yarn so I may remake it for the t-shirt or perhaps attach it as it is...
 
Come back tomorrow for the final part of the project and the 'written' instructions of how to do this lacy trim...