Well, they actually began a week or so ago. I think the beginning was a Front Page/Breaking News item. Canada withdraws its ambassador and closes the consulate in Iran and at the same time expells Iranian diplomats from Canada. It preyed upon my thoughts. I am a history buff, you might say, and this recent event just seems to me to be repetition...
Next was the You Tube film mocking the beliefs of Islam. No, I have not seen it, and I don't want to. (I do not follow any religious faith)
"Mockery is a rust that corrodes all it touches." - Milan Kundera
People, everyday, use Mockery to get something that they want. People use Mockery to belittle other people.
People use Mockery to make themselves feel powerful.
People who love each other use Mockery when they want to 'get back' at the one they love?? but, WHY?
People use Mockery to alleviate the fear they have of the unknown.
I don't like Mockery.
I was particularly upset this morning because of Mockery. I wondered why it was aimed at me -- a trivial thing when it comes to denigrating a peoples' spiritual beliefs, but still, it hurt my Heart to have a person tell me there is something Wrong with ME because of a trivial difference in thought process and taste.
I decided to make a Quilt. In my mind it represents the foolishness and futile waste of energy that Mockery is...
We are all humans? Yes? We all share a basic form and function. We all have basic genetic things in common but we also have the ability to think differently from each other.
I wanted this quilt to show that we all have the same shape, with differences such as colour or pattern, but the fabric that is US, is all the same.
We all exist together on this one little planet. We have big ideas, and we have little ideas, some of those ideas are clear and easy for anyone to understand, others are cloudy and complicated and open to individual interpretation.
Sometimes we get crumpled and confused and clash and sometimes all is harmonius and we are stitched together in solidarity.
So. Whats the point of Mockery? Does it really make you feel superior to the next guy? There is more similarity than there is difference. Next time you want to make someone feel small, is it worth it? Do you need to do it? What makes your patch of plaid better than the other guys purple wavy lines??
And I know this has all been said before, but today it affected me and I needed to use my time and talent to create a response to my thoughts. My own way of Artful Expression results in a Quilt I call - Mockery.