Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Super Summer Snippy Challenge Part 6

Even though I have not posted anything on the blog since last Monday, I have been quietly creating behind the scenes...

This week for my challenge I have finished the nine patch that I described using the narrow black sashing strips that I received as part of the Inspirational Bags of fabric scraps from last week.

This is a twin size quilt top, that still might get a wider border put on but for now, I am calling it done, mainly because I am stuck as to what to use to border it.


The Statistics of this quilt are:

35 - nine patch blocks sewn 5 blocks across and 7 blocks down with a 2 inch sashing between the blocks and around the outside edge.
It took 20 width of fabric strips 2.5 inches wide for the sashing, with about 3/4 of the last strip unused.
The nine patch blocks are made of 3.5 inch cut squares and as you can see, the block are all two contrasting colours.  So a total of 315 scrappy 3.5 inch squares.  The finished quilt top measures 57 inches by 79 inches

.  I think this is the largest quilt top I have done so far in this series.  Next up is a nine patch variation -- not the usual one though that is called a disappearing nine patch -- but it is a bit more piecing so could take me a bit longer to put together.

The Inspirating Scrap Pile

This morning I wanted to sew something a bit different, so I made two sets of two mug rugs from some of the bits in those bags of scraps.



These started out with those coffee centre squares and both the border and bindings come from the scrap bags.  In my own stash I have nothing like these fabrics!  Even though I normally would not buy these fabrics, they sure are fun to work with for a real change of pace for me.  I will probably list these in my Etsy Shop (link is on my side bar if you happen to be curious about what else might be there)

***
If you are new to my blog, go back a few posts and check out exactly what the Super Summer Snippy Challenge is by clicking on Super Summer Snippy Challenge in my LABELS section!
or start here
***
Out here on The West Coast of Canada we still seem to be getting more cloud and rain than sun and heat, so spending time at the sewing machine is one of the best use of time, at least til the sun comes out -- but then I will probably be whining that it is too hot to do anything!