Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

I cleaned my Sewing Room...

Well, not completely.  Close enough though so that I can work in it without loosing blocks and scissors and especially my rotary cutter!  I actually have three rotary cutters in case I "lose" one in a pile and just CAN'T stop what I am doing to look for stuff!


Then of course because I had made some space to work in, and a scrappy bits project has been preying on my mind for a few days, I had to do a bit of BIT sewing.

Do you remember when I got THREE bags of scraps? Check back to this post if you want to read or re-read about it.   Well with that bunch of scrappy bits, I did share out a large portion of it to some of my other quilting buddies, so that there was only a small bag of it left and yesterday I came upon this web page Daisy Janie (click on the name and it will open a window to that blog and you will see what I mean) where she has a Lancaster Diamond Quiltalong.  I have not joined the quiltalong because I don't actually plan to make a whole quilt of small bits diamonds - but I did want to play around with the idea.


So I took some chunks and bits and strips from the gifted scraps and my own scraps and made about a 1/2 meter piece of sewn together randomly as they fit and then I laid down the diamond template that has been sitting in my ruler drawer for at least 5 years! and drew around it with a pen.  I managed to fit 12 diamonds on this piece.  I then cut them out with scissors.  

 Why would I cut them with scissors?  I cut the first one with the rotary cutter, and cut into the side of the next diamond, so wasted that second diamond -- there would have been twelve.  So I figured because the 2nd one got ruined, I would have more control with the scissors and I did!


So, there they are almost a dozen diamonds, to eventually become something.  I am not promising a quilt or a table runner or even a placemat, but it is possible that they become something someday.  Would this be a "work in progress"?  I am not going to count it as one because it carries no promises of future finishes...

I did enjoy doing these and it is fun putting those scrappy bits together -- who knows, it is possible that they may become Mug Rugs, but only maybe...

Now, I think I will head back up to the sewing room and do a bit of work on the next donation quilt for my Super Summer Snippy Challenge...