Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

WIP - new kick!


A few days back while I was exploring ETSY, I came across a listing for this pattern.

You know how, sometimes you come across something and memory comes flooding back?  Well this pattern brought back a long lost memory -- as soon as I saw it, it was familiar!

When I was in my teens, I was always looking for ways to earn a few extra dollars.  I did babysitting, which did not happen often because we lived in the "country" on a farm and potential customers were often miles away.  

One of my Mother's suggestion was that I could sew boxer shorts for my Dad!  I had been learning sewing since I was about 8 years old and was confident I could sew these.  This pattern became SO VERY familiar to me because I made it dozens of times  for my Father.  My Dad was a quiet gentle man  but he had a secret! He loved outrageous fabrics for his undershorts (and later he became more open about the choice and began to wear outrageous ties which my sister took great pride in providing him with).

So for a few years, I made flowery shorts, and dinosaur shorts, and very popular 1960's prints for my Dad.  My mother bought the fabric and for each pair I made, she gave me 50 cents!  Yes, that's right, 50 cents (but then in those days I got paid 25 cents an hour for babysitting and 5 cents a pint for picking berries in the summer) for each pair.

So, now I am wondering, if I go into some sort of production and start making these if they might sell in my ETSY shop?   I will have to think on it as the fabric nowadays is a bit more of an investment.

Now, as luck would have it and coincidence must enter into it.  I was gifted with some 1960's sewing patterns and have now developed a fair collection of them but these will be going into my ETSY shop too, as soon as I can get to the job of putting them up.


Can you image wearing this outfit in this kind of printed fabric?


A bit late to the party, but I am linking up with the Needle and Thread network (check my sidebar for the link)