Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Knit Mitts and Crochet Sweater

Whew!  My sewing machine has been sitting idle this past week, but I have kept my hands busy, and my bum in a comfortable chair -- its favourite place, actually!

Well, truthfully, the organizational and clean-up bug came to visit so everyday this past week, I was pulling things out of corners and drawers and shelves and piling them in the middle of whatever room I happened to get the urge to work on... The main bedroom, the kitchen, the upstairs bath and the 'linen' closet...   I am most impressed by my progress in my bedroom, tho.  But I am not showing you a picture, cause it is just a bedroom...

In between these frenzied bouts of organizing, I sat quietly and either finished up those grey mittens I dreamed about last week...



Which, I just might send to my brother Joe in Winnipeg, even though winter is coming to an end, there are still some cold days ahead, I'm sure...

And also crocheting two short sleeve cardigans, which I am hoping will suit my twin great neices in Victoria, BC, Greta and Lucy who are soon to be celebrating another birthday. It is hard to keep track of kids in the family who live in a different city, so these two cardi's are a guess at about a childs size 6/7... They were fun and easy to make up - well, the green one, which I finished up on Saturday was easy and now I am about half way on the pink one


I used a baby sweater free instruction I found on the internet and instead of baby yarn, I used a fairly new yarn, Waverly by Bernat which is almost a chunky, but is really soft and I am hoping the girls  will like it.  I increased the number of stitches by about 20%, added a button tab to the front for a three button closure instead of a neck ribbon as on the original, and used a "V" stitch for the lower body of the cardigan.  I am quite pleased with my adjustments but of course the ultimate test will be once the girls get these, if they fit properly and if they like them...


 And of course, Walter must make his appearance in the blog story, so here he sits, overseeing the progress, so far made on the pink short sleeve cardi.   Walter does like to help with any unnecessary unravelling of crocheted rows, which he tends to do unsupervised and without any care as to how far back he undoes the crocheted work that I just did.  


I am thinking, I will work a bit in the sewing room, it seems there is a "thing" going around quilting blogland of a "granny square" quilt block, so I am going to play around with making a few blocks -- even tho I have no particular project in mind.... Remember the shoe box full of 2 1/2 inch squares?  That is the box I am going to pull out again for a couple of hours of play...

Enjoy your Monday!  and if you just can't, think about Saturday, it is coming!! (and so is Christmas)