Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Granny Square Quilt Block! Really?

I have been seeing this quilt block on various other blogs around the internet and since I have that 'shoe box" full of 2 1/2 inch squares, I thought well here's a chance to use up some of those squares...


This box of squares never seems to diminish!  Which is of course my own fault, because whenever there is less than a fat quarter of any of my fabrics I tend to spend a few minutes and cut that piece down to either 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch squares -- so you know, somewhere in the background is ANOTHER shoe box full of 3.5 inch square...

It really doesn't take long to do a batch of these "Granny Square Blocks"  which I think may also be called, Many Trips Around the World (but you will have to go google that to verify it if you want)


Instead of doing these blocks (as suggested on another site) in rows, I found it to be easier to make a stack of nine patch blocks to start with.   Then I made the 'frame' which was a print fabric and 3 plain white squares and sewed that piece (I shoulda taken a picture but forgot) onto the nine patch. Pressed the whole thing and trimmed it up square...


I managed 20 blocks in about 4 -5 hours...  Kept me occupied and made a dent in the shoe box of 2.5 inch squares.  That is until I checked around the sewing room and discovered a half dozen scrap ends of other projects and proceeded to cut them into squares which I'm sure added more to the box than I started with!

Well, maybe tomorrow I will work on another stack of these blocks, because this set is going into my ETSY shop.

Now for a change of pace, I am going to go into the kitchen and see about creating a batch of cookies... Its been a couple of months since this house has seen home made cookies....