Something a bit different, but not too different. It still has to do with fabric and I actually had all I needed right here in my stash because I was making alot of wool quilts and wool applique pieces for a while.
So I have a small box of felted wool and even had a piece of burlap that i had got at the second hand store (where else?) just before christmas because I was thinking of doing a burlap wrapped christmas wreath, that I never did get around to. Good thing, turns out.
So using my small hand quilting frame (which has been on a shelf for a couple of years waiting to be used) I first cut some strips of the felted wool from my stash. I used a regular crochet hook to pull through the 1/4 inch strips and here are three test patches.
At the first booth at the show, was a lady who was selling roving and felted and hand dyed wools and she was demonstrating the rug hooking technique by making these cool Cone Flowers...
I thought a kit with instructions would be just the thing but she said no she had no kits and was quite happy to show me the process. Not at all difficult, well, except when it came to the double petals, I had a Hellava time getting them to sit right without making the flower look too bulky. Took a couple of tries and a couple of re cutting the petals (she had not pattern) because figuring out the proportion to the center.
Well, it was a fun little project -- not sure if I will do more, but they would make a good, hand work in front of the tv project.
Definately the easiest part was making the round rug hooking flower centre.
And here is the flower broach that I made this morning. I'd say about 2 hours, including gathering together the various elements to put the project together, finding the pin back thingys for the broach which took opening and closing afew drawers!
And the back of the broach -- no one sees it except you -- while it is being worn, but I do know it is a bit messy. Next one, if there is a next one, hopefully will be a bit neater.
That was a pretty good start to a Sunday, and now I really should go do real WORK, like sweeping a floor or dusting a shelf or petting a cat...
Enjoy your Sunday!