Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Works in Progress - Diagonally Speaking

A couple of weeks ago, I started an afghan with some of my skeins of Red Heart yarn that were left over from other projects.  A sort of scrap afghan.  I got it finished just this morning but now I am wondering if it is as finished as it should be...


 I am thinking it might need a border. Hmmmmm, but what as a border? Light or Dark? Lacy or Chunky?  and do I need to go buy some yarn to add a border?


Well, one way or another, it seems that it still is a work in progress, though very close to completion!

AND

A very long time Work in Progress, that I dug out of a drawer.
  


 Before the turn of the century, and probably 3 or 4 years before that my mother's other daughter sewed some blocks and gave them to me when she decided that she didn't like how they were developing. 

The sewing on these blocks was not very consistent as they were part of the early stage of learning to sew and quilt by her.   Finally about 5 or 6 years ago, I thought I would add some strips around the blocks to make them into log cabin blocks. 



 Still a problem with consistency in the sewn seams meant that all the blocks needed to be cut to a uniform size.   But they sat at the bottom of a drawer for a long time.  When I pulled them out of the drawer on the weekend, I was determined not to put them back in again in the same undone format.

So I decided to ignore the width of the strips and trimmed the blocks all down to a 12 inch square.  If you look close at the pieced top you will see that not all the seams line up quite as they should.

But.  As my friend Carolyn says, Done is better than Perfect!
And you know what? It is!



I am not sure if I am counting this as one of the 10 quilt tops in my own little Super Summer Snippy Challenge, though...  It could be called Number TWO if it is then.

OOPS!  Now as I look at this photo above, I see an error! Darn! Can you see it?  Back to the drawing board -- well not that far back, but a bit of unsewing before I think of borders for this quilt top.

Maybe next week it will be complete -- the top anyway and I can then think about where it will ultimately go...
I must say though it feels great to pull this albatross down to a level where it is getting dealt with!  I has only been about 15 years in progress! hahahaha!  That sounds quite rediculous!

I am linking up with the Needle and Thread Network of Canadian Works in Progress ( click on the button on my sidebar).