Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival Spring 2012

Well, I thought it was time to get into the que and be part of this huge online QUILT SHOW...



This is one of my favourite quilts It was done as a group challenge with a group of 5 quilters who meet on a semi regular basis.   We decided on a  pattern that was inspired by a pattern in Quiltmaker Magazine called Heritage Squares.   The pattern called for some odd fractions in the cutting and since I was deemed the "math wiz" I recalculated all the blocks to be cut into 1/2 inch increments instead of 1/8 inch ones. 

We each made 80 blocks in our own scrappy fabrics and set a day for an exchange!  What fun to exchange blocks and see how our quilts might come together!

Now, because I wanted two twin bed size quilts, I created this version using the blocks that were in the red, brown, gold colours and after piecing the blocks added the narrow inside border of a very pale pink and then the 6" burgundy border. 
I machine quilted the quilt in a simple grid for the blocks and a straight line on the borders.   The matching quilt, not shown here is in blue green colours and was gifted to a family member and was also done by me.
This quilt was very much liked by members of my quilt guild, Abbotsford Quilters Guild that I was engaged to teach a class on putting it together.   I felt very flattered to be able to pass along some of my knowledge and things I had learned about putting quilt blocks on point.
This quilt was completed in September 2010.

To check out the other quilts in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival go to

http://amyscreativeside.com/2012/05/18/bloggers-quilt-festival-spring-2012/

and scroll down the page, quite a way down, and click on the thumbnails to check out the other quilts being shown in this festival...