Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Work in Progress - Corner to Corner Afghan

One of the least expensive yarns to buy is Red Heart's Supersaver.   I strongly suspect that it sells very well because they have been making it for a long time.  There are those knitters and crocheters who consider it a "junk" yarn, right? 

I know there are many more lovely and soft and probably easier to work with yarns out there in the marketplace -- but somehow, Red Heart's Supersaver creeps into my stash.  Mostly it finds it's way into my box of yarn because I find it in the thrift shops for even cheaper than it is in the retail stores!  How about $2 for 3 almost full skeins?

Now, as with quilts that I make through the year and donate to my quilt guilds charitable projects, I like to make up a few crocheted throws that I donate in the late fall to our city's Christmas Bureau.

I have a "go to" pattern for the afghan that I usually make for this.



It is from Red Heart's selection of free patterns.  Go to Corner to Corner Throw to get the instructions for this pattern.  I have been making this particular pattern for at least 10 years now!  I first found it via my Mother-in-Laws suggestion (she was not computer literate but had a print out and one in progress when I first saw it).


I love the way you can make this afghan look very formal with the angled strips being alternated in planned colours (see the pattern's photo on the Red Heart site, or as I make it, I pull out a ball of supersaver and start at the corner and crochet until that colour runs out, then I pull out the next colour and go for as long as that next skein lasts.  I am always pleased with these afghans!  Always bright and cheery.  Once you get started it just seems to grow itself...  This afghan doesn't have to be made in the size described in the pattern, you can make it baby size or lap size of king size if you like.  When you have figured out the increase and decrease method you become master of this project!

So this throw is destined for the Christmas Bureau, come November  hopefully I will manage to get a couple more done to donate.

I have a second Work In Progress, that is being added right here to my blog.   Look up.  Look Way Up.  See the tabs at the top of the page?  Well, I have a collection.  It is a collection that I started in 2009 and just recently decided that instead of hiding it in computer files, I would add it right here on my blog.

If you will click on the tab up there that says My Collection of Big Things you will find some of the photos I have taken of Roadside Attractions in various cities and towns between Duncan, BC and Winnipeg, MB.  These all are photos that I have taken myself, tho there are many many more BIG THINGS across Canada...  If you read back to The Worlds Largest Raspberry Plant a few days ago you can read about my most recent addition to my collection.  If you regularly visit my blog, for the next while I will be adding photos of the BIG THINGS.


I am linking up with the Needle and Thread Network today.  Remember to check out a few of the other Canadian blogs  linked up there too!