Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Work in Progress -- afghan and new thing...

Have you ever thought that something you do is TOO MUCH FUN?  Then when you think that having too much fun is not such a good thing you decide to step back and not let yourself have too much fun?  Does anybody else do that?

Well I was thinking that I was spending too much time on the computer -- facebook, twitter, pinterest, this blog, email and looking for interesting quilting stuff.   Well, it was getting to where I was looking more at quilting stuff on the computer than actually making quilting stuff.   So I tried to do other things... But I STILL didn't get any quiltmaking done!


I did manage to progress on the corner to corner afghan.  In fact I think there is less than 25% of it left to do...  I will measure 48 inches wide by about 70 inches long, and I think what is on that burgundy skein of supersaver may just be enough to complete -- but just in case I do have another small ball of that middle turquoise..  I am hoping that it will be finished up by the weekend.

And of course reading about other people's projects inspires me to test out new things.  For awhile now I have been admiring Grandma Coco's micro macrame' bracelets.   So I did a bit of reading about it and decided that the beads and cords were not going to be as neatly achievable as I would like....  So I thought about it and dreamed about it and just happened to be going through one of my books (Crochet Embellishments by Jean Leinhauser) and realized that crochet braids is much like micro macrame but I already knew how to crochet and I was already good at it!

So tho it is different, in a way my bracelets crocheted and beaded  is my own version of the fiber style bracelet.


This is my first ever bracelet done with crochet braid with rather large vintage faux pearls.   I am pleased with it.  The crochet braid is made with regular size 10 crochet cotton.

So with some more crochet cotton and another synthetic string I had in a drawer I have made a few more braids but have not yet added the beads.


At this point of experimenting with this technique I am creating the braid first and leaving extra long threads on each end, and I then thread the beads onto the crocheted braid.

So even though I thought I was having TOO MUCH FUN on the computer I have found that I am quite happily occupied with the various aspects of crochet.
I suppose the motivation to work on one of the too many in progress quilts will again strike me and I will be off on another tangent of quilting creativity.

I am so lucky to be so easily occupied, so if and when I get to feeling guilty about spending too much time on one thing, I just switch to something else.

Oh and in an attempt to be a good homemaker (hahahahahahahaha!) I spent some time today making my bedroom neat and tidy -- but I did not do dishes, even tho they did need to be done!

I am linking up with the Needle and Thread network again this week, so go check out the other canadian needle artists who have already linked their blogs.