Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Finish One, Many still to GO!

I have a drawer in my sewing room that has a stack of quilt blocks that are waiting for something.  They are so very patient!  They think, (do quilt blocks think?) that they have been forgotten.  Not So.

This morning I opened my eyes about an hour earlier that usual -- 4 AM -- if you can believe that.  There was no falling back to sleep, though.  I had ideas percolating and they demanded doing!


So it didn't take long to get dressed, and have a bite to eat -- oatmeal porridge today -- and I was up to the sewing room.  The drawer of part done quilt blocks and "orphan" blocks were calling.   For a change I was not anxious to start something new.  I was thinking about how I could make some good use of those blocks.



One block seemed to call louder than others, and before 8 AM rolled around I had a block made into a cushion cover.   I found in my stash a nice Moda print from a few years back to add a border onto this Brown Eyed Susan dimensional applique block, then layered and machine quilted with hearts, or maybe they are heart shaped leaves all around and along the border.


I made the back, a simple fold over style -- I don't really like a zipper on a cushion, because it just seems that if you lay your head on it, the zipper pull always pokes itself into your cheek bone or other soft body part.


Now, I must admit that the actual flowers and leaves were not appliqued by me...  My cousin Linda made a variety of floral blocks some years ago and I was lucky enough to receive one as a gift, and now, finally it has become what it should have been after all this time.

Even though I do appreciate Linda's work on the applique, these gorgeous flowers just would not survive for long in a multiple pet household, so I have put the finished cushion cover into a plastic bag to protect it and I am listing it in my Etsy Shop.

 It was such an early start to the day, it is not yet lunchtime!  Maybe I can get a few more Orphan blocks made into interesting things by the end of the day...