Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday Finish...

I have had an ongoing project for the past few weeks and during that time because it involved moving my sewing stuff, I could not do any sewing...  So there is no new projects to show... YET.

I, with the assistance, meaning muscle, from my hubby and favourite son, have been moving things and ROOM purposes around.  It is one thing to move the furniture in a room, but quite another to change a room's purpose!  For 10 years I have used an upstairs bedroom as my sewing studio and totally loved it!  But as times change so do needs and my focus on sewing has changed to such a point that I felt that I no longer needed a room dedicated to sewing. 

My 'stash' is much reduced and I am feeling somewhat of a relief that there is not so many pending or possible projects that 'might have been'.  For the longest time, the inclination was to purchase a meter or two for SOMEDAY and SOMETHING, but like someone said awhile back, "there is more fabric there than I can use in a lifetime!" and just that fact began to weigh on my mind!  I have kept in my stash, only that which I expect to use within a reasonable amount of time -- as it was I had dated fabrics that would have never been used unless I waited another 20 or 30 years and made a VINTAGE quilt...

I wanted a room to myself...  A place where I can do "peaceful' things, a quiet room, a personal room.  Maybe it is age that makes me crave alone time...  Maybe it is just me.   So the whole project involved THREE ROOMS.   The shared bedroom, the living room, and the former sewing room.


 
My OWN ROOM...  It is still in need of sprucing up, some pretty frilly curtains and some paint, lavender I am thinking...  I have a recliner to sit or nap in, my lap top computer to read blogs, a stereo to listen to Harry Connick, Jr on, and even a small collection of yarn to keep my hands busy when I am in the mood to just daydream...

The LIVING ROOM has become the all purpose room, it includes a TV along with a comfy recliner for tv watching -- no couch, tho -- sewing machine and cutting table along with some fabric on bookshelves in baskets, it includes the treadmill - for walking on rainy days; the computer and household accounting/record keeping, photo organizing centre. 

 
And plans to repaint -- I do love that spring green, but it has been this colour for about 6 years now and time for a change...


Maybe the Living Room could be called the Family Room, tho there are only three of us (all adults) in this townhouse. so family room, too. is a misnomer because we all do not gather at the same time in that room...

And now, because I have my own sanctuary, the BEDROOM has become somewhat more masculine, you do not see the thrown about clothes or the crusty socks in this photo, but that is what he seems to be happy with, his own stereo too -- he seems stuck on the "golden oldies" of the 60's and 70's -- a tv that he leaves on whether he is asleep or even gone to work, and of course the dog and both cats who he happily shares the bed with...

 
Still, tho, the room is crowded with quilts, which makes the masculinity of the room not so obvious!  The only change he wants is a bedside lamp instead of the tall lamp you see, so next time we are out and about perhaps a small lamp will present itself???
 
I cannot show you the before photos, I did not think to take them, but suffice to say, the whole project involved moving three recliners, a couple of shelving units and all the stuff on them, a dresser or two, contents of closets, stereos and all that goes with them... Oh and all the sewing stuff! (there were quite a number of boxes and bags taken to either recycling or donated to thrift shops)
 
Now, we are settled into our change and it appears to be making everyone happy!  When you move house, you tend to get rid of what you don't want to move, but we haven't moved in 10 years, so it was definately time to do a complete house run through and clear out the things that no longer had a use! 
 
So even though this house is not arranged in a way that most homes are expected to be, I think it suits us and especially me, quite fine!