Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Dog Sweater, Finished

I recently started back to knitting.  Well, to be honest I never really was a knitter, even though my grandmother taught me to knit sometime before I was 10 years old.

My Gramma was born in England, near London Bridge actually and she taught me what is now called the English Method...  At age 10, it seems my mind absorbed things it is only now realizing that it learned so long ago!  Good thing too, because if I had to learn how to knit now, I'm not so sure that I could!

 

So I have been practicing my stitch tension by making a few cotton dish/face cloths...

I had promised a niece of mine that I would make a doggie sweater for her 'not-for-profit' dog rescue that she is the organizer for in Manitoba.  Her group does not actually rescue dogs to be re-homed.  Her group raises funds and goes into small northern communities and provides veterinary care to dogs that would otherwise never be seen by a vet.  Mainly they spay and neuter any of the dogs in the community many that are feral (and then release them) or if residents request that their owned dogs receive the service.

So I finished up my first completed sweater, tho it has a couple of "oops" in it, it looks like it is supposed to!   This sweater is made with Red Heart Supersaver -- this is a great yarn for trying out one's skills, because it is not so expensive to waste on a novice project.   I quite like how it turned out...


In fact, I so enjoyed the process that I have started a second dog sweater!  The first one, in the photo above is a middle size for a dog such as a American Cocker or perhaps a Havanese or a Shih tzu.  My second project is for a smaller breed, like a Pomeranian or a Chihuahua.  I am getting a bit fancy in that I am giving this sweater stripes, turquoise and bright red!


So, hopefully these sweaters can be sold at her next fundraiser for a good price and perhaps help out some outside dogs that would perhaps have a bit better life.

I haven't committed to further items for this organization, but hey! perhaps my crafty streak can be more effective.   I don't know about you, but after awhile of making and giving, crochet or quilted items I have got the distinct feeling that some times people don't really look forward to these kind of 'gifts'...

If a person were to buy what I make then you know they want and need it...

******************

And unusual - Archie, my Siamese rarely poses for a picture, but today the sun was streaming in the kitchen window and he was enjoying the warmth of it on his back so I took the opportunity to catch him, catchin' a few rays...