Now, that my sewing station has been moved and downsized, I had to find a small useful corner in which to press the seam allowances when piecing fabric...
And of course pressing the fabric itself before cutting it...
My 'studio' had a dresser that I had originally covered the top with batting layers and terry cloth along with that heat resistant batt that is used for pot holders and similar...
But my much reduced sewing area did not have that big dresser with its top area for pressing fabric -- so...
I went out and bought a 'table top ironing board'... Ho HUM... Made in China... The only useful part of this unit was the metal frame.
The cotton cover was pretty much see through -- it could not last long or withstand the use I planned for it... Under the see through cotton cover was a 1/8" thick or should it be called thin piece of a sort of plastic foam--it certainly would flatten into a piece as thin as typing paper the first time that any heat was applied...
This unit cost $17 bucks! And of course it needed work to make it useful.
Not alot of work...
I took the thermal batt that I had previously used on my dresser top, and layed it on the cutting table...
I had some fusible quilt batt, quite firm -- It was in my scrap bin but enough to just fit the size of the ironing frame... I layed it down on my cutting table on top of the themal batt.
Then, the ironing frame layed down so that the top covered the two layers of batting...
Simple now, simply cut around the metal ironing frame, flip the whole thing over and replace the thin cotton cover on top...
I plan to go with a better quality cotton top, but haven't decided which fabric in my stash that I want to look at every time I iron something, so that part is for another day!
Well, now back to sewing together my Many Trips Quilt, which is still "in progress" -- I will have progress on it to show, next week, I think...
Spring! is here! Hope your part of the country is noticing it; if not today, very soon you will be sitting on a blanket or quilt with your fingers buried in the cool beach sand!!!
Linking up with Off the Wall Fridays -- Nina Marie Creations -- click on the "button" on the left side of my page to take a look at her own comments today and to explore the many links she is sending you to!