Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fall, Fearless and Fly - October Challenge

I enjoy an interesting challenge.  Therefore, I am taking part in the Fall Fearless and Fly (don't ask me what that means, tho) on the Artists in Blogland web page - you can pop over to the link provided and see the links to the others who are taking part.

The challenge for October began on the 1st and closes on the 15th - not alot of time to make a whole quilt to represent what I do!

There are three choices that ONE has in order to fulfil the challenge.  They are:
Headline Prompt: Inventing the Future: Where do you want to be 5, 10, 15 years from now. What's holding you back? What's propelling you forward? What do you need to do or stop doing to create your future?
Color Prompt: Warm colors (reds, oranges, pinks, yellows)
Quote Prompt: "The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." Abraham Lincoln
 
Well, I knew that I needed to create a sewn/quilt project so with just a bit of rummaging through my scrap fabrics I came up with a few somethings that I think fulfill every one of those 'prompts'.  I started out thinking only of using the color (notice I am using the American spelling of that word?) prompt, but once I thought about it, I think I covered all three... 

I have made three Mug Rugs, or perhaps you might call them hot mats for the dining room table. They each measure about 6.5 inches square.  Random pieced, or crazy quilting, which ever description you prefer.

Inventing the future:

Now, in my life, there is actually less future to come than there has been past.  So I represented a very early 1970's print fabric that has been in my stash for awhile, and is a fabric that I used way back then in one of the first quilts I made.  Combined with that 1970's fabric are very recent 'Modern' style fabrics.  Since I have been a quiltmaker and sewist, I have so enjoyed seeing the trends as they change and evolve over the years -- my future?  To see more colour style and design!


The colour prompt:  To use yellow, orange, red, or pink.  I was not able to find a pink but then it says OR, so pink is not needed -- the orange and yellow, is of course that 1970's print, and the reds are quite new scraps.


And the Quote Prompt:  Now as I said, I have more of the past than there will be future and those one at at time days have been full of learning and living, growing and making a home and a relatively calm, enjoyable life.   So Yes, I have experienced those days and am so glad and thankful that many of them have made good memories.  Perhaps the future will hold things as facinating as the past days have...

There, my Fall Fearless and Fly Challenge, done -- Looking forward to November's Challenge!