Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fall, Fearless and Fly - Challenge TWO

I am participating in a twice monthly challenge, over on the Artists in Blogland webpage (just click on the name or check my sidebar for the link).

This Second Challenge is all about taking chances, which most of the time I have no problem tackling!  You know when your mother would say she hoped that you had children just like you?  Well, I did! And I am so glad they are so full of adventure!!  In the last few years I have encountered a few stumbling blocks that have eroded my sense of adventure and I am working on finding my way back to my old self...

The prompts for this October Mid-Month challenge are:

Headline Prompt: Taking a Chance: When did you take a chance or a leap of faith? How did it turn out? What did you learn?
Color Prompt: What color do you like least? Use it!
Quote Prompt: "Don't refuse to go on an occasional wild goose chase -- that's what wild geese are for." Anonymous

This time I am concentrating on the Headline Prompt: Taking a Chance, but it is almost impossible for a quilter who loves colour to ignore the colour prompt so using my least favourite colour is also part of this challenge...


To explain my process and a bit of my thinking, I have to say that although I did not stray far from my familar world of quilting, I did take what I had and use it in a somewhat unexpected way.

While making some quilt blocks using brown and beige, which definately are in the category of least favourite colours, because they really aren't colours are they.  Beige is muddied up white and brown is not quite black, both are sort of wishy-washy when it comes to the world of colour!

So, when I was trueing up each block (cause they need to be perfect) there developed a pile of slivers of fabric in that beige and brown.  I set that scrambled pile aside simpley because it shouldn't be wasted!

A few weeks back, I decided I wanted to learn how to do coptic binding, especially when I realized it is a way to SEW PAPER! How cool is that?

I got a coptic bound book made using black cardstock for the front and back cover, and there is sat... Waiting...


Waiting for the Take a Chance Prompt and this Challenge to come along.

So I proceed to 'muddy' up the front cover of my handmade book.
I layered it with white tissue paper, liberally glued on with plain old white glue - I really like white glue, cause when it sticks to your fingertips and dries, it is kinda like pulling off layers of skin without the pain of a sunburn!  Yeah, weird!

Continuing with the theme of white glue, I dumped those slivers of fabric on top of the tissue paper and pounced with a big paintbrush getting the fabric soaked in glue and well SCRIBBLED around the page...


And as a bit of an homage to those flying geese -- in quiltmaking, there is a quilt block called flying geese which is made up of triangles, so on the bottom of the cover I added some tiny bits of fabric to illustrate the flying geese... in red and green, just for the contrast from the neutral beige, greys and browns...


Fabric and white glue, created a very textured surface, but yet leaves the fabric and its woven threads quite clear.

So, now I have a journal to explore some of the ideas of creating my own patterns and images, using pen, pencil, paints, fabrics and whatever else enters my mind in the coming weeks of this challenge...