Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ten days!

You'd think I had gone on holiday, but no...

Maybe I was Ill, not me.

How about busy -- yeah, thats it, I was busy -- a crappy excuse actually...  so how about, I just didn't get around to posting on the blog, and I am feeling somewhat guilty because the Medallion Quilt Along seems to be bogged down too...   And really, it is bogged down because of COLOUR.  I know what it needs and I don't have it in the stash and I can't seem to find the right colour in local shops...  This could be indefinate.  I hope not.  I could compromise and use half of this and a bit of that and some of those, but it would not feel right to me and sometimes, even though I can be a bit lackadasical I need to have the right colour for this little quilt.  So, patience please?  Or if you don't want to wait around for me, you could invent the next round or two for yourself...

Yesterday, I spent all afternoon putting hanging sleeves on 4 quilts that I have registered for my guilds quilt show...

Yes, Abbotsford Quilters' Guild is having a quilt show...
It is a pretty big thing for us, well, every guild that does a show, puts alot of time and effort into showing their quilts and it seems like there is always more that could be done.

I totally enjoy our guild show everytime but as with any large show, it takes at least two visits to aborb and see all the quilts that have been hung.   If you only have a couple of hours for a quilt show, it is impossible to see it all!   Isn't that the way for any sort of 'trade' show? 

The best thing about quilt shows, is there is no really pressure to spend money!  There are booths where you CAN spend money, buy fabric or books or gadgets, but you don't HAVE to!  I like that you can just walk around and look.  You can look at the colours and study how shapes fit together.  Quilts are an interesting way to learn about Math.  I certainly was a poor student of Mathematics when I was in High School, but now, I love the use of Math to puzzle out how the various pieces of fabric can fit together, and the USE of MATH to create MATH puzzles -- and our show has a special display all about how Math works to make interesting quilts...

If you have been part of a quilt guild, sooner or later you will be part of a quilt show!  The admission to the show and a few other things are what helps our guild to pay bills, hire instructors and have our meetings, so a well attended show is important.  We also have a RAFFLE QUILT along with a secondary prize and the sales of those tickets go to support our guilds Community Service.  We provide Quilts to a number of local charities, including the local hospital, women's shelter and a program to reward high school age young people who are new or very soon to be parents.   Individuals in our guild support other causes that sometimes are helped by our guilds charitable program.   So even if you don't gamble, think of buying a ticket on the raffle because that is a contribution to our We Care charitable quilts Society.

I have not been an organizer of the quilt show but I can tell you that we will have on display, more that 400 quilts!  Wow!   I am not posting photos of the quilts I have registered because I am only one of many!  Come to visit our show, I think you will enjoy the time you spend here and this year, an important 'deal' MEN ARE FREE!   Now, that doesn't mean you can get a MAN for free, it means that if you bring one with you, be he a friend, neighbour, husband or son, HE will get into the quilt show for FREE!   That is a savings of $5.00.

Our Quilt Show is on Friday June 10 and Saturday June 11 at the TRADEX building which is very near the Abbotsford Airport.  If you come from the south (USA) it is very easy access, simply come up the Guide Meridian and cross the border at ALDERGROVE, continue north to HUNTINGTON RD and turn east, you will see signs (about 20 kms or 15 miles) that point you to the AIRPORT and signs that point you to the Tradex and the Quilt SHOW.  If you come from the West there is the TransCanada Hwy, or if you are in Delta or Surrey or Tswassen, use 0 ave...  East from Chilliwack or Hope or even further, again east on the TransCanada (Number 1)...  There is very good signage, so keep an eye out and you will find us!  Oh, come early you will see more and perhaps bring a lunch for a picnic in the area, before or after you visit the QUILTS.

Mainly, Welcome!  Come and enjoy our quilts...