Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Guild Day!

My Quilt Guild -- well, the quilt guild that I have been part of for twenty years now -- I joined in the Fall of 1991-- had their regular meeting yesterday.  I do believe the meeting has always been on a Tuesday, tho' some years back our group went from an evening only meeting to evening and day meetings.  I have looked forward to the second Tuesday of each month (except July and August when there is no meeting) for all the years I have been a member.

Yesterday was elections for Executive Positions -- jobs that keep our guild (an every other guild) running and a happy and interesting place to go to and share a passion!  We elected a President and Vice President, a Secretary and a Treasurer.  Then we found people who stood up to do the Newsletter Editor position and a new Library organizer person.   Our guild has alot of 'jobs' to do and every year someone jumps up with their hand in the air and says "Yes! Me, I'll try that job."  Sometimes a person is new to our group but like a fearless wolverine she says okay, I will try it out and I will do the best that I am able.  I am so proud of the members of our guild.  We keep rolling along and there is almost always someone to do a needed job.

Now, that is not to say that sometimes a job is not difficult to fill, but someone does come along and even a bit reluctantly may take on a job.  I have spent many years serving on our executive committe,  I was Newsletter editor before we were able to compile all the news on the computer -- I think that was '92 - 94, I was Vice President, twice!  I was Workshop organizer for a year and I shared the Program Organizing Job with my friend Cindy for two years.  I helped organize our Guilds 20th Anniversary (but I became ill and did not do as good of a job as I had hoped) but thankfully I had people to support me and help with the things that needed to be done.  I have been Publicity person both for the guild and for the Quilt Show and have organized the Quilt Show Challenge twice.  Whew!  Lots of jobs, eh?  And this year, I was not quite quick enough in putting my hand up for a job, so maybe next year something again will come up for me to do...

At every guild meeting we get up and show the quilts that members have created and finished up in the previous weeks or months or even years!


This month, I did not actually get up to show off quilts, but my friend Doris did.  We are collaborating on doing some quilts to give to various charitable needs.  Doris brought along three of the quilts that we have worked on.
The quilt you see in the above photo was quilted and finished up by Doris.  I created the top.  I used those bali prints -- popular a few years back.  It is a Medallion style Quilt.  The centre is a "Bow Tie" block -- that I first learned how to do from another quilt guild friend - Carol Ann.  Then a dark "stopper' border.  The next border is a fabric that I hand-dyed and then stencil painted the leaves on.  Next a single row of  squares sewn in a row and finally a printed bali print (batik) all around the outside.  AND it was about time this quilt, which is about 54 inches square finally got done, it has surely laid in a closet for less than 8 but more than 3 years!  Doris does such wonderful work on her B-Line Quilter you would think she was a paid professional!  But, she makes quilt (and knitted toques) for what she calls community service.  This Medallion Quilt will be going to a Senior Centre.

Now, here is another Quilt that Doris and I got finished up.  Again I did the top and Doris added the outside border, quilted and put on the binding.  This quilt came to life because I had way too many floral fabrics in my stash.  So as an experiment in Luminosity, I wanted it to appear as if there was a bright light shining through from behind the quilt.  I used a very simple block -- a floral 6 1/2 in square with opposite corners of half square triangles -- I like the effect and think it was a success in learning for myself how light and dark values can be used in a quilt.


And this double four patch you have seen before on my blog as a mystery project - a few months back.  Again beautifully quilted by Doris plus she added the outside border and put on the binding.  Along with this quilt Doris also made a pillow case to match.  This quilt has been donated to the Quilts of Valour here in Canada (just click on the blue print and it will open a page that tells you all about it)

Now, my closets are empty of half done quilts and my heart feels quite self satisfied.  I can now start over and see what I can make next.  It is great to have and own such pretty things but for myself I feel so much more useful when my quilting knowledge can be used to make someone else smile too...

This was such a fun guild day!  I love showing off my stuff (and Doris') and love going to visit with all the ladies whose faces have become familiar over the years -- and I am always happy to see new younger faces join our guild.  Two new young ladies became part of our guild this month and I sure do hope they feel welcomed and encouraged to come again...