Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Rediscovered Inspiration

The smallest things sometimes catch the eye and it may take a bit of time for the brain to process what it saw.  I don't mean that when you see something you don't know what it is, but it takes time to realize it's potential.  But then maybe that's just me!

At least three months back, now, I saw a knitted hat that was posted on another blog -- a toque, in my Canadian mind, is what I call it.   So I made one and I sent it off to my brother as a Christmas gift.  Then, a few days latter (mid December) my friend Doris showed me a toque, that she had decided to make, inspired from the one I had done -- except Doris went out and bought a really lovely yarn and the toque ( she actually has made 8 !) is improved upon.  The one I saw on the internet was a single rib all the way up for 11", then gathered at the top and a pompom added.  When I made my version, I did the same, and it turned out very nice -- well, I think so anyway.

Next Doris saw the toque and decided that a double rib, with a stockinette stitch at the top and decreases spaced around the hat would give it a better shape.  So, I tried that version, but my stockinette stitch at the top was done only for a few rows, and I think, even though Doris said it is an interesting way of doing it, I don't feel that it was quite right -- so back to the drawing board, as they say.


I wanted a varigated yarn and in a different project this would be my choice of colour but somehow it doesn't quite work for this toque.  So a couple of things -- not quite right yet...


Doris' version motivates me.  Doris also purchased a completely different yarn, that I couldn't see the potential of, until I saw her versions using a chunky yarn called  Charisma a Loops and Threads yarn available at Micheals Stores. 

It is just amazing how a thing develops and grows!  Amazing too, is the inspiration that one feels when such a simple thing takes hold. 

So, finally, I am working on my fourth version of this toque -- I also made one in a chocolate brown, that is for a small head, perhaps it will get sent to a nephew?


I am really loving the way this yarn creates stripes around the toque, the photo shows only about 5 inches, so there is a few hours left to see how it grows.   An old craft, of which I am having to relearn those basics, brought back and worked on and experimented with, makes life so much more interesting than always continuing to do what you know already.  I love to learn, or re-learn new things. Don't you?