Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Found Money

So the story goes like this...

After an hour or so of shopping at the mall, we returned to the car and put the purchases in the back of the car -- well, really I got into the car and he loaded everything in. 

Now, while he was putting potatoes and pop, broccolli and beans, spagetti and soap into the car, I heard some change fall on the ground. 

He finished putting the things into the car and opened the driver side door to get in.

 I said "Did you hear that?"  He did not answer.  He started the car.

 I said "Turn off the car!"  He looked at me as if I had gone batty.

And again I said "Did you hear me?" 

"There's nothing wrong with the car." he says

"I didn't say there was."  I told him.

"Well, it's  just the radio" he mumbles

" What?"

"It's the Radio" he says and turns it on

"No, its not"  I tell him.

"Then, what?"  he wants to know (but not really).

"Just turn off the car, for a minute" say I

"Yeah, okay, I turned off the car, like you said. It's not making any weird engine noises. Now, what do you want?"

Then I said " Did you hear what I said before that?"

"You never said anything before that." said he

"Well, of course I did, otherwise why would I ask you if you heard what I said?  says I.  

"You just told me to turn off the car"  he claimed.  

"No I didn't." 

"Yes, you did!" 

"Well, okay, yes I did, but before that I asked you if you heard what I said?" 

"And, I said yes I did cause I turned off the car." he told me.

"Huh?" says I

"Can't you hear?" says he

"As usual you don't even know why you are arguing with me, except to tell me that I am wrong. Right?"  I say with a huge sigh. 

His classic answer "That's not true"  

"Well, I don't expect you to believe me, you never do anyway" says I.  

"I believe you."   he reiterates.

And my answer "You just said what I said wasn't true, so you don't believe me, do you?"

"I - Believe - You"  he said slowly and carefully as if I only understood Russian or Mandarin or some other language, while his face turned an odd shade of purple and his hands on the steering wheel turned white with the force of his grip...

At this point, I managed to catch myself and get back to the beginning of the subject and said

" When you were loading the groceries I asked you if you had heard anything?"

 "No you didn't" says he AGAIN.

Now getting rather tired of this merry-go-round, I opened the door and got out of the car without saying any further words.

 He says "So, now you are mad!"  

"No, I'm not, I'm just checking something" I answer.

I walk around the car to the drivers side and there on the ground by the back door of the car are two Loonies (Canadian one dollar coins) and about 6 quarters and three pennies.  I lean over and pick them up, walk back around to my side of the car and get in.

"What!"  says he, with a sort of guilty look of a six year old boy.

"I just found 3 dollars and fifty-three cents lying on the ground by the car."  I tell him.

"How did you know it was there?"  he asks me.

"I saw the sun glint off of something while you were loading the car."  says I

"There's no sun, its pouring rain" he tells me;  looking at me like I was totally loony, which I was because I now had a few more loonies in my pocket.

"Yeah, well, truthfully, I could hear the rain splashing off something.  I have found some money so now I want to go to the second hand store to see if I can find something to spend it on.

"I hear things alot better than you do" I tell him

"Since when"

"Since I was born!"


"Okay, which one?" he asks.

"Which one what" I ask

"Which second hand store?"

"Oh, Yeah."  I remember

"Just drive, go to whichever one you want to wander around in " says I,  "I am going to buy something extravagent." 

So he did And I did.  A pretty little heart-shaped pin for two dollars and fifty cents, no tax added