I live in a small townhouse complex - only 32 units - We, as a strata are planning to do some reno work to our central courtyard area which means that the common gardens will be removed and only partially restored, to make room for other things.
The actual demolition has not begun but has been talked about for almost a year now. People, being people don't like to do things that will soon be undun. No upkeep has been done on the gardens. Not even keeping the weeds down! I have been looking after a small corner that sort of has been my responsibility now for about 5 years -- it is pretty bad too, cause the garden is raised - I cannot reach very far into it.
This part of the garden has been raided for the most desirable plants, remains - only weeds...
Another raided section, the only bit of green, a very large dandilion type weed, thriving...
My section, that I look after, still somewhat green with the day lilies finished and over grown, still lots of weeds, with wild poppies providing splashes of yellow. A few calendula, self seeded but most were choked out by dandilion, poppies, some sort of creeping vine and weed names that I don't know. It looks neglected, but not completely...
Another part of the common garden, so overgrown the vines are climbing down the sides of the raised garden and creeping along the sidewalk. A large Rhododendrom was cut back late last fall, but it has taken so long for this process to progress, that the tree is putting out some new foliage! I wish I could save this tree, but I have no place to put it. Does anyone have a spot for it in their garden?
Thank you, Thimble for showing your lovely well cared garden -- you gave me the inspiration to show what a doomed garden looks like.
Things still do grow, regardless what humans call pretty! Life strives to fill the empty voids left by the holes and unwatered plants that need humans to provide care...
I am motivated to go out this morning and make some space around the half-dozen calendulas so that the buds on them can open up in the next few days and show their bit of glory.