Try not to scroll down to the bottom of the page -- it really is more fun to work out the finished design as it progresses...
** to view the photos in more detail, click on each and it will be enlarged, to go back to the page, simply click on your webbrowsers back button up on the left top corner of your browser...
Now, we have done the major part of the sewing -- it is a matter of putting together the three stacks that you should have left.
When I photographed these stacks I put pieces of tape on them to give them new names, without realizing I had no way of typing those symbols and posting them to the blog! So there are two main sections that you should have 16 of each (the small strata of 4 pieces sewn together, and the sorta log cabin square) plus 4 B1 squares still unsewn. One pile is a triangle symbol the other a square symbol -- check out the picture...
Now, remember that orientation is incredibly important in this design so carefully follow the instruction, referring to the photos, when in doubt.
Proceed to sew 8 of the triangle sections to the square sections; if in doubt, check out the photo below that shows the way the two sections will be placed as they go under the machine needle.
Making sure to line up carefully the seam lines -- if you have been pressing your seams towardward the darker fabric, the seams should nicely "lock" together and fit exactly. It is quite important to keep things inline so that the design doesn't look off-kilter, so try your best to make sure the seams line up.
Now take 8 more of the square symbol section and sew it to the other side of the triangle section. As you can see in the above photo the square symbol section is orientated differently. The E2 piece is at the top and the C3 piece continues the design across from the triangle section. Make sure you have 8 sections exactly like this sewn together. Press and set these 8 pieces aside for a few moments.
Now you will be sewing the rest of the triangle sections to the last 4 B1 squares. Sew each of the triangle sections so that the 3 B1 squares form a long centre section. See the photo below. You will have 4 of these when you have sewn them as shown.
Once this section is sewn, you will now have 4 of the long narrow strip and 8 of the larger rectangle section. If you have done a fair amount of piecing of blocks, I think you can see how these last pieces fit together.
Sew the long narrow strip to the side of the wider piece as shown, and then follow with sewing the second wider rectangle to the other side...
You should have 4 complete blocks. This block is a traditional Japanese pattern, actually named Knotted Square. Now from this point your choice of setting is optional. In my case I chose to sew the four blocks (finally the orientation doesn't matter, because it is a symetrical block and all the outside edges are the same) to make a larger square. Each individual block will measure about 15" square -- I say about, because everyone sews the 1/4 inch seam slightly different -- also because the pieces fit together in this particular way, to make an exact 16" square would have meant sewing in 1/8" increments I did adjust the cuts so that we did not have to deal with 1/8" measurements. I do have available how to cut the pieces for this block in two other sizes. In a 12" finished block (the D1 pieces are incredibly small!) and I am working on a extra large size block of 24" square.
Here is the 4 blocks about to be sewn to create a small table topper, without borders, it will measure about 30" square. If you prefer, these four blocks can be set so that they form a long table runner (I forgot to take a picture of them that way) or even if you are so inclined you could make a larger finished square by setting the four blocks on point (which would mean figuring out the setting triangles around the sides ).
I have chosen to create my blocks into a square with a border, my border consists of an inner "stopper" border, which is the length of fabric "C" cut at 1 1/2 inch wide, then an outer border using my "A" fabric cut at 3inches wide.
There is an optional border applique that I will give you the instruction for later today or early tomorrow, if you wish to add it. I am not so far ahead of you in sewing this project. So must sew and quilt it before I show you the final complete project. I will be making straight fold binding using my "B" fabric.
I hope that you have enjoyed doing this project, and that you found it to be easy to follow instructions and that you can make use of what you have created here.
Thanks, EVERYONE for following along.