Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Patriotic Salvage optional border applique

Just a bit of extra, if you should be inclined to add some applique.

This is completely machine done, and is using wool felt -- just cause I like the look that felt has on top of cotton -- and it is pretty quick to add on.
You can do this even after your quilt is quilted, but I usually do it before, as with most other types of applique.
My first step to this type of applique is to use a stabilizer behind the fabric as it helps to keep the fabric from stretching or rippling when you machine applique.


I generally use a non-woven fusible light weight interfacing.  It's purpose is not to add bulk but to keep the fabric from stretching.

Next I cut out the applique shapes from wool felt -- I have been collecting wool skirts (usually from the second hand store, but sometimes friends give me their old wool clothes) .  I wash and dry the wool after taking the clothes apart and they shrink to the point where when used for applique there is no need to turn under a hem.

In this case, I am making leaves to decorate the border, it will be a simple vine on the edge of the quilt, so to cut the leaves without a pattern, I simply cut a strip of felt that is about as wide as I want my leave shapes to be, so the strip of felt (3 strips in my case) are between 2 and 2 1/2 inches wide.



I mark the approximate shape that I want, some wider some skinnier, with a chalk marker, and then I cut them out.  Depending how many you want to applique you will have to decide how many you want to make.

If this is your first time trying out this method, I would suggest that you make a test piece of fabric say about 6 inches square and do a small section following my instructions -- you can decide if you like the effect or not, then continue if you like on the border of the quilt.

The border, because it needs a vine also requires either long narrow cuts of the same wool felt or a similar colour of yarn.  If you use yarn, be aware that the yarn stretches and causes the fabric to scrunch up, so you may have to "break" some of the stitches and pull out the 'gathers"  or if you use narrow strips of felt, it will be more difficult to accurately sew it neatly to the fabric.  Just sew slowly and you will be fine...

With the yarn I insert it into a couching foot, so it follows where I aim my sewing machine foot.


When I use narrow strips of felt, I use a zig zag stitch and hold it in place just ahead of the needle using a japanese chop stick (they have a pointyer point).



So as you can see, the interfacing has held the fabric quite nicely with no stretch apparent.

Now to applique the wool felt leaves.
Change your foot on the machine to a darning foot or as some call it the free motion foot.
Beginning at a convenient place, use either a narrow zigzag or a straight stitch, free motion stitch around the edge of each leaf, and to give it just a touch of realism, 'draw' some veins on the leaf.



Continue to add leaves as you see fit, as many or as few as you like.  You will find that because it is so quick, you will be quite generous as to how many leaves you are wanting to applique.

Finally, here is one corner of the quilt border with the simple vine applique.  With Practice, you may find yourself adding this applique to everything!



Finally, for those who have followed along with this Mystery, I would love to see how your projects have come out.  Please email me a photo of the finished, or almost finished quilt and tell me whether or not it is okay to use your picture on a future post of the quilts made from this design.  Send photos to jswb4com@yahoo.ca.
Thanks, so much for playing along.

I am planning to do another Mystery for the Labour Day weekend, so check back over the Summer for exactly when and what you will need to follow along on that one.

A note about copying -- I have taken the time to create this mystery quilt along with the time to write, calculate and photograph the steps, so I would greatly appreciate it if you do not download or copy my work here. This mystery is free on my blog and if you think you must keep the pattern, and instructions for yourself, your store customers or your friends I would prefer that you donot give away my work. I feel that I am the author and if you want to share my work with others, there will be available after this weekend a PDF file that I will email or print and mail to you for a small fee. Otherwise, please visit my blog for these instructions...