This last day of the year is time to finish up and think about new things. New Years Day is really just any other day, but in todays society it means a new start, a reason to correct mistakes or clear up old habits that may not be good for us. A day to start new things and try new things...
This year, I have developed a bit of a whine, it has not been the best year ever for me and I have somehow developed a habit of blaming it on other things and other people - and sure some people have upset me BUT I am the one who has let them! So my own little change is to try to get back to my own little independent self. Only I steer my life, so I need to make it go in the direction I want it to... Other lives do affect mine, but I have to find a way to minimize those effects and either change my direction or deal with the effects that another persons life has on mine... Easy to say, now, just to try to do it!
I have been finishing up a small lap size quilt for my cousin. This little quilt is RELATED to the christmas quilt I finished up in the fall because the blocks are made by a co operative group, so my cousins blocks have sat in her closet for as many years as mine did -- so I offered to put them together and complete a quilt for her -- she did buy the extra fabrics needed to sash and bind it and I pieced together leftover bits of batting from other projects so it has not cost me anything except the time -- which I must say I have more Free time than alot of other people who have larger families or full time jobs...
One of my favourite things is the Birthday Lunch (or party or simple gathering) that I usually share with my cousins. I do like simple things and just getting together to say hello how are you is a highlight of my life. I don't like big get togethers, just a few friends enjoying each others company -- I used to wonder why, but now I know and it is a selfish reason - I like to be a big fish in a little pond and am never comfortable being a little fish in a big pond -- if you know what I mean...
Well, now, off to finish up my cousins Christmas Quilt -- definately it will be ready for her to show off next year at christmas in her house, and to think about what things I can do to put my life on its own track without relying on or blaming anyone for its direction.
HAPPY NEW YEAR (AND A SAFE ONE TOO)

