I know practically everyone is making and buying things for christmas, sewing and crochet, baking and shopping for those who think something home made is a not particularly interesting gift -- who would want a quilt when they can have a new ipod or something similar??? I am a non conformist. The gifts I give are pretty much ALL home made if someone doesn't want those kind of things, I would appreciate them saying that I shouldn't bother to make something for them cause they would rather have a store bought thing -- and since I don't do store bought, except toys for a few kids - I feel quite guilt free in not spending time or money on someone who doesn't want what I make... Harsh, well, I don't think so, but then some might.
Anyway, since all my present making is complete and I don't do Malls at this time of year, so is all my shopping...
So. As you have perhaps read from the previous few posts one of my local fabric chain stores are closing down (we hope it is just to change locations). I think I have bought my fair share of 50%, 60% and 80% off fabrics in the last couple of weeks! Now, since I do have a sewing room but only one closet as my fabric storage area and I try not to overflow it -- I am in need of making space as most of what I bought is still in bags on the floor. Unacceptable, cause it makes it difficult to get from sewing machine to ironing board to cutting table. I am going to dedicate this week to a clean-up, clean-out, organizing, and scrap cutting (into uniform squares)-- 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 5" squares and 2 1/2 inch wide strips. I already have shoe boxes that are designated for those very sizes, so all those odd size scraps can but cut and put away and the scrap box emptied and begun again.
Every sewer, well many of them do get their rooms in an untidy mess on occassion so this is my year end project -- shouldn't take more than a week, I hope...
And the other reason for concentrating on the job this week is because one of my most unfavourite events occured yesterday -- it snowed... the weather guy says the snow should be gone by tomorrow but I don't count on it. My cousin loves the snow, especially at christmas--but other than looking pretty when it is freshly fallen, I see nothing nice about snow -- for me, it is dangerous (mobility issues) and the cold and dry doesn't agree with me at all...
Other than that, it is really quite a wonderful day...