I have grown accustomed to the climate here on the west coast of Canada, where the snow rarely shows itself except maybe at Christmas time. I arrived in Winnipeg on a night that was very reminiscent of Vancouver, dark and rainy!
Visiting the old home town included some drives around the countryside. I went to a school north of Winnipeg at a community named St. Andrews. I was part of the first classes that attended this school the year it was built, now when was that? Hmmmm, some time about 196?, Yes, that's it, exactly!
A bit of a grey day, but well, to me alot of my school days were grey...
And St. Andrew's Anglican Church on the Red - one of the oldest churches in Western Canada... it is across from the school - it can be a melancoly day's step into history, to read the gravestones dating back 150 years or more. The one that said "Baby, aged 2, drowned in the Red River 18--" was one that set me to thinking...
Then further north, we drove to the general area known as Winnipeg Beach - my SIL's family has had a cottage there that has been in the family for more than 60 years -- long before it was popular to have a cottage at the Beach...
I could not pass up this photo of the Art Centre and the painted quilt block on the building. What more lovely sight does a quilter want to see???
Now on another day we went to an number of 2nd hand stores -- thrift shopping is the family sport! Our Mother taught us very well, not everything needs to come from the big department stores or as they are called today the "big box stores" . The Goodwill Store on Princess Ave. in old Downtown Winnipeg is housed in one of those pre 1900 built heritage buildings. The stone quarried north east of the city at Garson or Tyndal Manitoba. This store has been at this location for as long as I remember -- when I went it, the floors squeeked as they always had, the designated areas for goods were unchanged. It was a step back in time - I expected at any moment for my Mother to call me to check on where I was!! I could almost see her dark curly hair just by looking over the racks of clothes, it was heartwarming and yet quite eerie to be in the store again...
Tomorrow, I have to tell you about some of the treasures I found -- I spent only 1.60 plus sales tax (that is a whole 'nother area of contention -- how many times does one have to pay tax on the same thing?)
I would have continued the story of the treasures found, but for some odd reason, I cannot get any other pictures to load onto this blog... So a bit of suspense... It is worth the wait!