I discovered the problem with loading my pictures onto this blog. I bought a new camera, and the resolution is too high! Each photo now needs to have the resolution reduced in order to upload it in a reasonable amount of time...
Now, onto the store of Treasure found at the thrift store. If I could whistle I would have been singing like a bird when I found these, they made my heart flutter!
One of the wonderful treasures that I found in the Goodwill Store was a box of wooden spools, in a variety of hues. I have not come across this type of thread before. It is called Buttonhole Twist - 15 yard spools. As you may notice the spools are short and stubby and the "stamped" end says Beldings Artsyl Made in Canada, Buttonhole Twist. It is a fairly thick thread - I do believe it is 100% cotton but it doesn't say that on the spools or on the box of 45 spools. Perhaps it is exactly what it says, thread to use to reinforce the making of buttonholes by hand.
Ya, Think?
A very pretty find, that I am more inclined to look at on a shelf than to actually use.
Anyway,the other find that I wanted to show you was a child's Sewing Cards Kit! This one actually has a year and copyright mark --- 1974! Thirty-six years ago a little girl named Ramona received this box of sewing cards. I wonder how old she was then? One card was close to complete and a second card was started. The third card was not used at all. I wonder if Ramona grew bored of this project, or perhaps she had already done and undone them a few times -- the yarn in the box was somewhat frayed.
I have wanted one of these kits now, for a very long time. I have kept my eyes open and remember to look at every thrift shop that I visit. I was so surprised to see this in the Goodwill Store in Winnipeg -- I was not thinking about sewing cards and did not quite believe what I was seeing. It was under a stack of clothing patterns. If you go to thrift shops you know how common clothing patterns are -- so common that many thrift shops, use the pattern printed tissue papers to wrap china and glassware, instead of selling the paper as patterns.
I don't know what to do with this box of sewing cards now that I have them! Thats the craziest part. How to use this ultimate treasure? Where do I put it? Do I leave the cards undone? Do I take my adult self to the place where I can actually play with them by threading the big needle and 'sewing' a card or two?
So far, I am happy to just look .