Yesterday I was reading about making cold pressed coffee and that the ideal tool for it is the French Press. Well, I have been making my coffee using the French Press for a long time now. The main reason I use the French Press is because it is small - 8 cups it said on the package when I bought it, but I thought that was a missprint (you know how things made in China sometimes have odd words?).
Well it turns out that it means 8 - 4 ounce cups. Who ever drinks a cup of coffee that is a 4 ounce size? Espresso, I guess, but I drink regular coffee in regular Canadian size mugs, that is more like 10 oz. Anyway, I get three good mug fulls from my coffee press. I just put in two really heaping tablespoonfuls of coffee and pour in the boiling water -- it sits for about 3 minutes and I pour the coffee into my cup. That leaves 2 cups or Canadian Mugfuls still in the pot, a second morning cup, maybe and a cup late in the afternoon --- If I don't use all the coffee in the pot (by warming in the microwave) then I put the coffee in a mug, cover with with "press and seal" wrap and put it in the fridge and still have pretty good coffee for the next day's breakfast. Now if I used one of those automatic makers with the heating plate that soon turns coffee into bitter black tar, I would be throwing out alot of coffee everyday!
This morning, I thought I would make a simple little cozy wrap for my French Press to extend the warmth of the coffee in the pot to my second cup...
I think it worked out well, using some thicker batting and some left over scraps - mind you by the time I got the cozy made, the coffee was already cold, so I will have to wait til tomorrow to see if it will keep the coffee warmer, just a bit longer.
And here is the link about cold pressed coffee making, using a French Press http://www.lisaclarke.net/2010/08/24/cold-press-coffee-or-how-i-reclaimed-some-precious-counter-space/
Now the next thing, I think is to go make some oatmeal cookies...