There is always something new to learn...
Having been a quilter for many many years, I have admired the designs and creativity of the various paper crafts -- and there is an amazing variety of things you can do with paper! My Son works at a middlin' size printer that does everything from government pamphlets to children's and other illustrated books. He is able to occassionally bring to me bright or textured or unusual types of paper that are 'cut-offs' from various runs, and now a friend is the proud possessor of a Cricut machine... Those two things combined is encouraging me to explore blogs where paper is the main element of design.
As you might see, I have collected a variety of cardstock and paper and am thinking that perhaps, I might try to make a few christmas cards, or at least some greetings in the next little while...
http://inspiredbystamps.blogspot.com/2010/10/christmas-candle-critter-sketch.html
The above link is an illustration, with some instruction of a type of challenge to create a specific design -- now as I gather, the idea is sort of like a quilt challenge except with making a card -- a certain format or placement design is created and those who take part use the "map" and their own creativity to fit a theme. This one a christmas candle.
For the beginner paper crafter, here is a very simple card that lends itself to mass production, or at least for the 20 or so cards you need to get sent by Dec 7...
Just cardstock, some folding and a couple of Christmas stamps and stamp pads
http://paperblossoms.blogspot.com/2010/11/cas-christmas.html
Here is another idea that looks like what you would make for that special someone! http://rejoicingeverymoment.blogspot.com/2010/11/cocoas-mittens.html
And here is paper crafting combined with gift giving! And HUMOR! I really like this idea - a special little gift for visitors or those who you just want to give a christmas cheer-up to...
http://craftingwithdarsie.blogspot.com/2010/11/holiday-sunday-reindeer-poop.html
More Christmas projects, ideas and tidbits coming yet!....