Mostly I read blogs.
But I bought a real actual book yesterday. I was just browsing through the bookstore at the mall -- actually I was at the mall to get in some walking indoors, cause it was raining outside. I read a few lines from this book or from that book, then i picked up a book that I could not put back on the shelf. It was so funny, to me anyway, that it caused tears to run -- how often do we get to laugh that hard?
So, I bought the book -- Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern this book comes from a series of comments by the author's father that he posted on Twitter. So of course, I had to google the author and the Twitter bit... check out http://shitmydadsays.tumblr.com/ to see a compilation of the tweets. I continued reading this book during the afternoon, yesterday -- my husband was quite irritated, I was too happy, I guess -- he went upstairs to watch the Blue Jays play with the Rays, hitting and running after a ball in a big green field somewhere at the centre of the universe aka Toronto. Oh, for those who object to swearing, there is too much of it in this book for you to read, so don't bother to check out the web link above, you'll just get mad at me for sending you there...
I also found a web page announcing a pilot for TV of this book (Sh*t My Dad Says) is being made with William Shatner as the Dad -- sure hope to see it come to fruition - hoping that it stands up to the quality writing of the book...
And on more reading. A Canadian Blogger, from the big TO aka Toronto, writing about an experiment of being a '50's housewife. Quite a challenge considering she is too young to have even be the daughter of a 50's housewife... Just being old enough to be the granddaughter of one... Facinating reading though from a younger persons perspective and the effort it takes to avoid some of the 'conveniences' of today. My own experience was as the child of a 50's housewife so I do see a few things differently and the fact that I grew up 'countrified' made a huge difference in the food experience. Where the city cook used cans and odd combinations, too much sugar and city conveniences, being on a farm, things were more plain -- sugar was not in abundance because it meant a trip to town to get it... Check out Jen But Never Jenn at
http://www.jenbutneverjenn.com/2010/05/welcome-to-50s-housewife-experiment.html
I think I will go and do some sewing, it is supposed to get warm this afternoon so I can go and sit on my back yard deck and read some more Sh*t My Dad Says -- this book reminds me of my brother, though.