I BROWSE the internet -- EVERY MORNING!
There is an endless list of things to learn, discover and then do-it-yourself!
I discovered TAWASHI on Saturday Morning. These are scrubbie/wash cloths, depending on what you use to make them. Basically Tawashi is the Japanese term for dishcloth, so it encompasses all sorts of designs and it just happens that these little round ones caught my eye. I found the idea on the Ravelry (you have to sign up and be a member) and there is one free pattern but I sort of adjusted my project. You can also check out tipnut.com (http://tipnut.com/ ) and do a search on the site for the word/project tawashi, which is the pattern that I used for these.
To use them as a scrubbie for the kitchen, a "rough" acrylic type yarn is suggested because it will softly scrub your dishes, also the acrylic or nylon yarns are more antibacterial. These ones though that I made I used a no name "overstock" cotton, that I purchased at Wal-Mart for $12 for two of those huge balls, not those piddly little ones that cost $1.50 each.
These ones that I have made, will be my new face/bath cloth -- they feel really nice on the skin and hold lots of soap for a good scrub down. They are simple -- infact an excellent beginner project, and fast and satisfying.
I have some yucky blue acrylic yarn, that I plan to use to make another couple and see how they work as the kitchen wipe up cloth.
I have let my hubby use one to wipe the counters in the kitchen -- he says he likes it because he doesn't have to be folding and refolding a plain square 'rag' to do any wiping up and it fits his hand nicely.
(I cook, he cleans)
Too bad I have discovered these so late, I think they might have been close to ideal for my Mom's arthritic hands, not too big and heavy, like the square ones we are all used to. Well, if she had tried them out, she would have given me her honest opinion as she was never one to hold back on her opinion of things...
Well, must get on with my day...