no pictures this time...
anyway, the other day I was making a fabric cover for a journal type book and somewhere in the back of my head I was thinking about what I call my Password Book... The two ideas sort of melded.
I have a old notebook that I write down the username, web address and password to a multitude of websites. I know they (who are they anyway?) say that you should memorize your password and not give it out to anyone. BUT GEE, there are more websites that I visit that need some sort of password, so I have to write them down -- AND because I did have a computer crash a number of years back, I now also write down not just the web name but its "http://" address too. It is amazing how hard it is to rebuild a Favourites list or the RSS Feeds list from memory. So everytime I log on to a new site I put it into my little notebook. Handy, but still has problems the main problem being finding where I wrote down which site... So thats where the bright idea popped in. REDO all those website addresses and passwords into a regular address book -- the kind with the A, B, C's with tabs on the sides. I have now discovered I have more web sites that I visit than I have actual friends.... hmmmm... Sure makes it easy to check the password for any particular site -- by the way, there are a couple of my websites that are not written down -- the bank, is the most important, it is easy to remember that password because it is different than any of the others.
Another tip to do with keeping your web pages and passwords relatively easy to get back into is that I only use about 4 different ones that I use over and over and over, but never on financially sensitive sites -- I don't think anyone looking to steal from me will care that I have a password for Lion Brand Yarn, or for the Ravelry site.... And the last computering tip... You know those sites that insist that you have a question and secret answer? Well, I have the same secret answer no matter what the question is-- so, What High School did you attend? twofoursix or how about What is your Mothers Maiden Name? twofoursix and maybe they might ask What is the name of your Pet? twofoursix... (by the way, twofoursix is not my actual answer for anything it is just an example in this case)
Hope these were a couple of useful ideas -- mind you if you have money sensitive sites or sites that can give away personal information, I would advise a more secure system, but for the web sites that really just want to know how often you visit using the same answer for everything should be fine...